Equation of Motion for a Pendulum

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving a simple pendulum and the equations of motion for the bob. The question asks to show that for small displacements, the equations of motion will reduce to simpler forms. The main problem is understanding how the equation in the z component reduces and why the Tension and force of gravity remain. The conversation also touches on the reason for dividing by mass and suggests looking into the Small Angle Approximation for further understanding.
gumball

Homework Statement

The question involves a simple pendulum, I am given three equations (1), (2) and (3) of motion for the bob at latitude (fi) for the x, y and z components.

the question then tells me to show that for small displacements meaning |theta|<< 1 (the angle between the string and the z direction in the centre of the x and y planes is very small) the three equations of motion will reduce to equations (4) (5) and (6).

my main problem is understanding how the equation in the z component reduces, especially regarding why the Tension remains as well as the force of gravity.

I also don't know the reason why we have to divide everything by mass.

Homework Equations

[PLAIN]http://img802.imageshack.us/img802/4642/equationsofmotion.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand when (theta) is very small, the Tension in the string is almost equal to (mg)
T = mg

this explains that in the x and y components the Tension becomes mg. but in the z component I don't understand why Tension stays as T, while still keeping mg in the equation.

as for mass, I am guessing mass is negligible because the tension is mg, thus mass cancels out, but still doesn't explain why the z component stays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look up Small Angle Approximation and see if that helps.

The reason for dividing by mass is to get it into a standard differential equation forum.

makes sense now, thanks for the help :D

What is the equation of motion for a pendulum?

The equation of motion for a pendulum is given by:
T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period of the pendulum, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How is the equation of motion for a pendulum derived?

The equation of motion for a pendulum can be derived using Newton's second law of motion and the small angle approximation. By considering the forces acting on the pendulum (tension and gravity), we can derive the equation of motion.

What is the significance of the equation of motion for a pendulum?

The equation of motion for a pendulum helps us understand the relationship between the length of the pendulum, the period of oscillation, and the acceleration due to gravity. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of a pendulum under different conditions.

What are the assumptions made in the equation of motion for a pendulum?

The equation of motion for a pendulum assumes that the pendulum is a simple, idealized system with no air resistance, friction, or damping. It also assumes small amplitudes of oscillation, meaning that the angle of displacement from the equilibrium position is small.

Can the equation of motion for a pendulum be applied to real-world situations?

While the equation of motion for a pendulum is a simplified model, it can still be applied to real-world situations with some adjustments. For example, it can be used to design and optimize pendulum-based timekeeping devices, such as grandfather clocks.