Equilibrium and Elasticity problem hw due tomarrow

In summary: WebAssign wouldn't take your answer because it's case-sensitive?!? Don'cha just lloooove computer-based problem systems? yup
brett812718
[SOLVED] Equilibrium and Elasticity problem need help homework due tomarrow

Homework Statement

two identical, uniform, and frictionless spheres, each of weight W, rest in a rigid rectangular container. A line connecting their centers is at 45° to the horizontal.Find the magnitude of each of the following forces on the spheres in terms of W. (Hint: The force of one sphere on the other is directed along the center-center line.)
(a) the force from the bottom of the container
(b) the force from the left side of the container
(c) the force from the right side of the container
(d) the force from each other
here is a diagram of the spheres in the box
http://www.webassign.net/hrw/hrw7_12-59.gif

Homework Equations

Newtons second and third laws

The Attempt at a Solution

The contact force exerted by the lower sphere on the upper is along that is 45o and the forces exerted by the walls and floors are normal.

Equilibrium force on the top sphere leads to

Fwall = F cos 45 and F sin 45 = m g

According to Newtons third law the equilibrium of forces on the bottom sphere leads to

F'wall = F cos 45 and F'floor = F sin 45 +mg

a)magnitudes of the forces on the spheres from the bottom of the container

F'floor = mg +mg = 2mg
b)magnitudes of the forces on the spheres from the left side of the container

F'wall = mg
c))magnitudes of the forces on the spheres from the right side of the container

F'wall = mg
d) magnitudes of the forces on the spheres from each other

F = mg / sin 45 = mg * √2

but that is incorrect

Physics news on Phys.org
When you say that the results are "incorrect", are you putting your answers into WebAssign? Don't forget that the weight of each sphere is called 'W', rather than being given as mg. So the machine either wants you to type answers like W, 1.414 W , and 2 W , or just the numbers 1, 1.414, and 2. (I get the same forces that you do.)

yeah I entered the answers in terms of w but they were still wrong

brett812718 said:
yeah I entered the answers in terms of w but they were still wrong

Exactly what did you enter? The force analysis should be right, so we have to figure out just what WebAssign expects to see.

I figured it out, I did not use a capital w in the answer. thanks for your time.

brett812718 said:
I figured it out, I did not use a capital w in the answer. thanks for your time.

WebAssign wouldn't take your answer because it's case-sensitive?!? Don'cha just lloooove computer-based problem systems?

1. What is the difference between equilibrium and elasticity?

Equilibrium refers to a state where the forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net change in the object's position or motion. Elasticity, on the other hand, is the ability of a material to deform under stress and return to its original shape once the stress is removed.

2. How are equilibrium and elasticity related?

In order for an object to be in equilibrium, the forces acting on it must be balanced. This can be achieved through the elasticity of the material the object is made of. As the material deforms under stress, it creates a counteracting force that helps maintain the object's equilibrium.

3. What factors affect equilibrium and elasticity?

The factors that affect equilibrium and elasticity include the shape and size of the object, the material it is made of, and the forces acting upon it. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and the environment can also impact these properties.

4. How can equilibrium and elasticity be calculated or measured?

Equilibrium can be calculated by analyzing the forces acting on an object and ensuring that they are balanced. Elasticity, on the other hand, can be measured using various techniques such as tensile or compression testing, which determine the amount of stress and strain a material can withstand before permanently deforming.

5. Why are equilibrium and elasticity important in science and engineering?

Equilibrium and elasticity play a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in various fields such as physics, engineering, and materials science. These properties are essential for designing and building structures and machines that can withstand various forces and stresses without breaking or deforming.