How to Calculate Kp for a Sealed Vessel at Equilibrium?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating Kp for a chemical equilibrium problem involving a sealed vessel at 2000K with initial partial pressures of .3 atm for I2, .3 atm for Cl2, and .5 atm for ICl. At equilibrium, the partial pressure of ICl increases by 52.8% (to .764 atm). The person is confused about whether only one pressure changes and mentions using an ICE table to solve a similar problem with no pressure change. However, in this case, all partial pressures change and the person is seeking help understanding pressure.
veitch

Homework Statement

Given a sealed vessel at 2000K, initially contains I2 (g) + Cl2 (g) <- -> 2 ICl (g) with partial pressures .3 atm, .3 atm and .5 atm respectively. At equilibrium the partial pressure of ICl has increased by 52.8% (so .764 atm)... calculate Kp. But that is one part that confuses me. Does only one pressure change?

Anyway.. I just did a Kp calculation for a previous question with no change and got the proper answer (it's given)... but using an ICE table in that question allowed me to solve for x to figure out the diffferent pressures... I tried to do that here but Got:

I2 Cl2 ICl
(.3-x) (.3-x) (.5+2x)

but if I add them together and equal to the total pressure (1.1 atm) ... everything cancels out. I admit I don't have a great understanding of pressures yet... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
All partial pressures change in this case.

Hello,

To calculate Kp for this reaction, we first need to write the equilibrium expression:

Kp = (P_ICl)^2 / (P_I2)(P_Cl2)

Since we are given the partial pressures of each gas at equilibrium and the initial partial pressures of I2 and Cl2, we can plug these values into the equation:

Kp = (0.764 atm)^2 / (0.3 atm)(0.3 atm) = 6.37

To address your confusion about the pressure changes, it is important to note that at equilibrium, the forward and reverse reactions are still occurring, but at equal rates. This means that the partial pressures of the reactants and products may change, but the overall pressure of the system remains constant. In this case, the partial pressure of ICl has increased by 52.8%, but the total pressure remains at 1.1 atm.

In terms of using an ICE table to solve for x, it can be a useful tool for more complex equilibrium problems, but in this case, it is not necessary. The given values already allow us to calculate Kp directly.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion. Keep practicing and studying, and your understanding of equilibrium and pressure will improve. Good luck!

1. What is equilibrium in chemistry?

Equilibrium is a state in a chemical reaction where the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in no net change in the concentrations of reactants and products.

2. How is Kp calculated?

Kp is calculated by taking the partial pressure of the products and dividing it by the partial pressure of the reactants, each raised to their respective stoichiometric coefficients.

3. What is the significance of the value of Kp?

The value of Kp indicates the extent to which a reaction will proceed towards the products at a given temperature. A higher value of Kp indicates a higher concentration of products at equilibrium, and vice versa.

4. How does temperature affect Kp?

Temperature has a direct effect on the value of Kp. An increase in temperature will increase the value of Kp for an endothermic reaction, and decrease it for an exothermic reaction.

5. Can Kp be used to predict the direction of a reaction?

Yes, Kp can be used to predict the direction of a reaction. If the calculated value of Kp is greater than the given Kp, the reaction will proceed towards the products. If the calculated value is less than the given Kp, the reaction will proceed towards the reactants. If the calculated value is equal to the given Kp, the reaction is at equilibrium.