1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Equilibrium - Calculating Kp

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given a sealed vessel at 2000K, initially contains I2 (g) + Cl2 (g) <- -> 2 ICl (g) with partial pressures .3 atm, .3 atm and .5 atm respectively. At equilibrium the partial pressure of ICl has increased by 52.8% (so .764 atm)... calculate Kp. But that is one part that confuses me. Does only one pressure change?

Anyway.. I just did a Kp calculation for a previous question with no change and got the proper answer (it's given)... but using an ICE table in that question allowed me to solve for x to figure out the diffferent pressures... I tried to do that here but Got:

I2 Cl2 ICl
    (.3-x) (.3-x) (.5+2x)

but if I add them together and equal to the total pressure (1.1 atm) ... everything cancels out. I admit I don't have a great understanding of pressures yet... any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

All partial pressures change in this case.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook