Equilibrium, Solubility and Precipitates

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine an equilibrium constant, calculate Ksp from solubility values, and determine if a precipitate will form in a reaction. The links provided offer helpful explanations and examples. The conversation also includes a discussion on how to determine the ions present in a compound and a calculation for determining if a precipitate will form based on the solubility product and ion concentrations.
skander
Can someone please explain to me:

1) How to determine an eqilibirium constant

2) How to calculate Ksp from solubility values

3) How to determine if a precipitate will form in a reaction

I am doing a chemistry course without a teacher and the textbook doesn't properly explain it.

Thanks in advance. o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
Note that we typically require you to show your own effort before we can add anything to the discussion.

You may find these useful:
http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Equilibrium/Equilibrium.html
http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Equilibrium/Equilibrium-Constant.html
http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Equilibrium/Calc-K-from-equilib-conc.html
http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Equilibrium/Writing-Ksp-expression.html
http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Equilibrium/Calc-Ksp-FromMolSolub.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, thanks for the links. So let me try to work out some answers over here.

1)A(g) --> 2B(g) + C(g)
<--

When 1 mol of A is placed in a 4 L container at temperature t the concentration of C at equilibibrium is 0.050 mol/L. What is the equiliibrium constant for the reaction at temperature t?

Well the links didn't tell me how to find the eqilibrium contant with unknowns.

2) Calculate the Ksp for each of these salts

A) CaSO4 = 3.3 * 10 -3 mol/L
B) MgF2 = 2.7 * 10 -3 mol/L

So for a) CaSO4 would dissociate to form [Ca] and [SO4] meaning
(3.3 * 10 -3) (3.3 * 10 -3) = 1.089 -5 Ksp = 1.089 -5

and for b) MgF2 would become [Mg] and [F]2 so we would have a 1:2 ratio so,
(2.7 * 10 -3) (5.4 * 10 -3) = 1.458 -5 Ksp = 1.458 -5

Am I right with these two?

Also for determing a precipitate they had an article titled that on their main page but no link so I still am not sure how to do that.

You're making a mistake on (b). First write down the expression for Ksp before you substitute values in.

Ksp = [Mg] [F2]
Ksp = (2.7 * 10 -3) (2.7 * 10 -3) =7.9 *10 -6
Ksp = 7.9 *10 -6

Is this better?

No, it should be

[tex]K_{sp}=[Mg^{2+}][F^-]^2 [/tex]

Go back and read the definition of the equilibrium constant again.
http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Equilibrium/Equilibrium-Constant.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I got the exponent 2 the first time but I'm not sure how you determine that MgF2 will become [Mg2+] and [F-]2. How did you determine the ions? And shouldn't Ca and SO4 also have them then?

Also, I think I found how to determine if a precipitate will form, can you check this work for me?

The solubility product of Ca(OH)2 is 7.9 * 10 -6 at 25C. Will a precipitate form when 100 ml of 0.10 mol/L of CaCl2 and 50.0 ml of 0.070 mol/L of NaOH are combined?

So [CaCl2] = 0.10 mol/L * 100 ml / 150 ml = 0.6666666667
[NaOH] = 0.070 mol/L * 50 ml / 150 ml = 0.0233333333

(0.6666666667) (0.0233333333) = 0.01555555563

Since Ktrial > Ksp a precipitate will form.
Is this right?

1. What is the meaning of equilibrium in chemistry?

Equilibrium in chemistry refers to a state where the forward and reverse reactions of a chemical process occur at equal rates. This means that the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time.

2. How is equilibrium affected by changes in temperature and pressure?

In general, increasing the temperature will favor the endothermic reaction (one that absorbs heat), while decreasing the temperature will favor the exothermic reaction (one that releases heat). Changes in pressure can also affect equilibrium, especially for gaseous reactions. Increasing the pressure will shift the equilibrium towards the side with fewer moles of gas, while decreasing the pressure will shift it towards the side with more moles of gas.

3. What is solubility and how is it measured?

Solubility is the ability of a substance to dissolve in a solvent. It is usually measured in terms of grams of solute per 100 grams of solvent at a specific temperature. This can be determined experimentally by gradually adding a solute to a fixed amount of solvent until no more can dissolve, or by using solubility tables that provide the solubility of various substances at different temperatures.

4. How do you determine the solubility of a substance in different solvents?

The solubility of a substance can vary depending on the solvent used. To determine the solubility in different solvents, one can perform a solubility test by adding a small amount of the substance to different solvents and observing which one dissolves the most amount of the substance. Another method is to use the solubility parameters of the solvents, which take into account factors such as polarity and hydrogen bonding ability.

5. What is a precipitate and how does it form?

A precipitate is a solid that forms when two solutions are mixed together. It forms when the product of a reaction is insoluble in the solvent and therefore falls out of solution. This can occur when the concentration of the product exceeds its solubility limit, or when a common ion is added that reduces the solubility of the product.