Equivalent capacitance in complex circuit

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework assignment involving finding the equivalent capacitance between two points in a circuit with capacitors. The equations used for capacitors in series and parallel are mentioned, and the attempt at a solution involves using Kirchoff's laws. The final answer obtained is 2C, with a suggestion to consider capacitors as resistances when solving the problem.
quietriot1006

Homework Statement

Hello, I was given this problem as a homework assigment.
Each capacitor in the figure has capacitance C. What is the equivalent capacitance between points a and b?
The answer is given in "C_eq/C"

30.CP86.jpg

Homework Equations

I used the "C_eq={(1/C_1)+(1/C_2)+...(1/C_n)}^-1" for the capacitors in series.
I used the "C_eq=(C_1)+(C_2)+...(C_n) for the capacitors in parallel.

The Attempt at a Solution

Combining everything that was in parallel and everything that was in series until it come down to one capacitor, the answer that i get is C or 1. Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or if I am inputing the answer in the wrong way?

Attachments

• 30_CP86.jpg
    30_CP86.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 999
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

It may be just me, but I don't see any series capacitors in this circuit.

This one may require Kirchoff's loop and node laws (also known as KVL and KCL).

I think it is 2C.
If you consider capacitors like resistances, you will see bridge and one of the capacitor behaves as open circuited.

Related to Equivalent capacitance in complex circuit

1. What is equivalent capacitance in a complex circuit?

Equivalent capacitance in a complex circuit is the single value that represents the combined effect of multiple capacitors in the circuit. It is the total capacitance that would have the same effect as the individual capacitors when connected in parallel or series.

2. How is equivalent capacitance calculated in a complex circuit?

The equivalent capacitance in a complex circuit is calculated using the following formulas:

• For capacitors connected in series: 1/Ceq = 1/C1 + 1/C2 + 1/C3 + ...
  • For capacitors connected in parallel: Ceq = C1 + C2 + C3 + ...

These formulas can be applied recursively for circuits with more than two capacitors.

3. Why is equivalent capacitance important in circuit analysis?

Equivalent capacitance is important in circuit analysis because it simplifies complex circuits and makes it easier to calculate the overall capacitance and other electrical properties of the circuit. It also helps in designing and troubleshooting circuits.

4. Can the equivalent capacitance in a complex circuit ever be smaller than the smallest individual capacitor?

No, the equivalent capacitance in a complex circuit can never be smaller than the smallest individual capacitor. In fact, the equivalent capacitance will always be larger than the smallest individual capacitor, and it may even be equal to the sum of all the individual capacitances in parallel.

5. How does the arrangement of capacitors affect the equivalent capacitance in a complex circuit?

The arrangement of capacitors in a circuit affects the equivalent capacitance. When capacitors are connected in series, the equivalent capacitance is smaller than any of the individual capacitors. On the other hand, when capacitors are connected in parallel, the equivalent capacitance is larger than any of the individual capacitors. Therefore, the arrangement of capacitors can significantly impact the overall capacitance of a complex circuit.