Equivalent Current Through Specific Resistor

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem and the equations involved in solving it. The solution for part (a) is given, but there is uncertainty about how to calculate the current through a specific resistor. Part (b) is deemed to be simple, as it only requires calculating the current based on the total resistance and applied voltage. Part (c) involves understanding how current splits in a parallel resistor combination, which can be solved using the resistor divider formula.
ScienceGuy787

Homework Statement

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4775531139_8d4dd954f5_b.jpg

Homework Equations

I = V/R
E = I1R2 = I2R2 =I3R3

The Attempt at a Solution

I got 5.22 ohms for part (a), but I'm not sure how to go about calculating the amps through a specific resistor.

Physics news on Phys.org
part b is simple. You have calculated the total resistance of the circuit. So given the voltage applied between A & B, you could calculate the current, & this much of current has to pass through the 1 ohm resistor.

for part c, do you know how current splits into each branch in a parallel resistor combination ?

thats simple..use resistor divider formula..

1. What is meant by "Equivalent Current Through Specific Resistor"?

The "Equivalent Current Through Specific Resistor" refers to the amount of current that flows through a particular resistor in an electrical circuit. It is equal to the total current in the circuit divided by the resistance of the specific resistor.

2. How is the equivalent current through a specific resistor calculated?

The equivalent current through a specific resistor can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). So, the formula for calculating equivalent current is I = V/R.

3. Why is the equivalent current through a specific resistor important?

The equivalent current through a specific resistor is important because it helps in understanding the flow of electricity through a circuit and how different components affect the overall current. It also helps in determining the power dissipated by the resistor, which is useful in circuit design and troubleshooting.

4. Can the equivalent current through a specific resistor be greater than the total current in the circuit?

No, the equivalent current through a specific resistor cannot be greater than the total current in the circuit. This is because the total current is divided among all the components in the circuit, including the specific resistor. So, the equivalent current through the resistor can only be equal to or less than the total current.

5. How does the value of the specific resistor affect the equivalent current?

The value of the specific resistor directly affects the equivalent current through it. A higher resistance will result in a lower equivalent current, while a lower resistance will result in a higher equivalent current. This is because resistance acts as a barrier to the flow of current, and the higher the resistance, the more it restricts the flow of current.