Espheric to cartesian coordinates

In summary: Maybe I should practice more about inequalities before I go on. Thanks for your time.In summary, the conversation involved a student seeking help with an exercise involving spherical coordinates and converting it to rectangular coordinates. The expert provided a summary of the conversation and advised the student to use a set of inequalities to describe the region, rather than a function. The expert also provided guidance on how to relate Cartesian and spherical coordinates.
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Hi there. Well, I have the next exercise, which I've solved, but I don't know if the solution I got is the right one.

It says Given the next region on spheric coordinates find the expression for it in rectangular coordinates, and plot.

[tex]\phi\in{(0,\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{6}}),\rho\in{[1,2],\theta\in{(0,\displaystyle\frac{\pi}{2}})}[/tex]

Well, In think it is a part of a cone, without a sphere of radius 1, with a sphere of radius 2 on the top.

Homework Equations

[tex]\begin{Bmatrix}{ x=\rho\cos\theta\sin\phi}\\y=\rho^2\sin\theta\sin\phi\\z=\rho\cos\phi \end{matrix}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]x^2+y^2=\rho^2\sin^2\phi(\cos^2\theta+\sin^2\theta)\Rightarrow{x^2+y^2=\rho\sin^2\phi}[/tex]

[tex]z^2=\rho^2\cos^2\phi\Rightarrow{\rho^2=\displaystyle\frac{z^2}{\cos^\phi}}[/tex]

[tex]x^2+y^2=z^2\displaystyle\frac{\sin^2\phi}{\cos^2\phi}\theta}\Rightarrow{x^2+y^2=z^2\tan^2\phi}\Rightarrow{x^2+y^2\leq{\displaystyle\frac{z^2}{3}}}[/tex]

[tex]f(x,y)=\begin{Bmatrix}{ x^2+y^2\leq{\frac{z^2}{3}}\forall{}z\in{[\frac{\sqrt[ ]{3}}{2}},\sqrt[ ]{3}]}\\x^2+y^2+z^2\leq{4}\forall{z\in{(\sqrt[ ]{3},2]}}\\x^2+y^2+z^2\geq{1} \end{matrix},x>0,y>0[/tex]

Is this right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Telemachus said:
[tex]x^2+y^2=\rho^2\sin^2\phi(\cos^2\theta+\sin^2\theta)\Rightarrow{x^2+y^2=\rho\sin^2\phi}[/tex]

You dropped a superscript, you should have [itex]x^2+y^2 =\rho^2\sin^2\phi[/itex].

[tex]z^2=\rho^2\cos^2\phi\Rightarrow{\rho^2=\displaystyle\frac{z^2}{\cos^\phi}}[/tex]

What if [itex]\cos\phi = 0[/itex]?

[tex]x^2+y^2=z^2\displaystyle\frac{\sin^2\phi}{\cos^2\phi}\theta}\Rightarrow{x^2+y^2=z^2\tan^2\phi}\Rightarrow{x^2+y^2\leq{\displaystyle\frac{z^2}{3}}}[/tex]

There's a much easier way to relate Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates, that is probably derived in your textbook/notes:

[tex]\rho = \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex]
[tex]\theta = \cos^{-1}\left(\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\phi = \tan^{-1}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)[/tex]

Your bounds on [itex]r[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] each give you two inequalities (for a total of 6 inequalities) which you need to reduce/solve to find the region in closed.

For example, [itex]\phi \in (0,\frac{\pi}{6})[/itex] tells you that [itex]0 < \tan^{-1}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right) < \frac{\pi}{6}[/itex], or, taking the tangent of each side of this inequality (actually 2 inequalities combined into one expression),

[tex]0 < \frac{y}{x} < \frac{1}{\sqrt{3}}[/tex]

You've correctly found that [itex]x^2+y^2 < \frac{z^2}{3}[/itex], but that only makes use of one of the 6 inequailties you have. You need to use them all to get the correct region.

[tex]f(x,y)=\begin{Bmatrix}{ x^2+y^2\leq{\frac{z^2}{3}}\forall{}z\in{[\frac{\sqrt[ ]{3}}{2}},\sqrt[ ]{3}]}\\x^2+y^2+z^2\leq{4}\forall{z\in{(\sqrt[ ]{3},2]}}\\x^2+y^2+z^2\geq{1} \end{matrix},x>0,y>0[/tex]

Is this right?

Here I'm not sure what you're trying to say...there is no f(x,y) in this case, you are simply being asked to find a reduced set of inequalities for [itex]x[/itex], [itex]y[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] that describe the region...Is there another part of the problem that involves some function f(x,y)?

No, I've called f(x,y) to the region.

Im calling [tex]\phi,\theta,\rho[/tex] this way:

[PLAIN]http://www.math.montana.edu/frankw/ccp/multiworld/multipleIVP/spherical/convert3d.gif

And [tex]\rho\geq{0}[/tex]

gabbagabbahey said:
You dropped a superscript, you should have [itex]x^2+y^2 =\rho^2\sin^2\phi[/itex].
Sorry, it was a typo, I'll correct it.

[tex]What if [tex]\cos\phi = 0[/tex]?
Then [tex]z=\rho[/tex]

Thanks for your answer. I've found a set of inequalities (thats the last set of equations I've posted), I'll try to make a graph of "what I see".

Last edited by a moderator:
Telemachus said:
No, I've called f(x,y) to the region.

That doesn't make any sense to me. In Cartesian coordinates, your region should be described by a set of inequalities for x,y and z (the same way it is desribed by a set of inequailties for [itex]\rho[/itex], [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] when working in spherical coordinates), not by some function f(x,y).

For example, if I wanted to describe the region the is bounded by the planes z=1, z=2, x=1, x=2 and y=0 and the parabaloid y=x^2, I would say the region is given by

[tex]1 \leq x \leq 2[/tex]
[tex]0 \leq y \leq x^2[/tex]
[tex]1 \leq z \leq 2[/tex]

It would make no sense to say

[tex]f(x,y,z)= \left\{\begin{array}{lr}1 \leq x \leq 2 \\ 0 \leq y \leq x^2 \\1 \leq z \leq 2 \end{array}\right.[/tex]

You can't set a function equal to an inequality or set of inequalities, and you can't describe a 3D region by a function.

Im calling [tex]\phi,\theta,\rho[/tex] this way:

[PLAIN]http://www.math.montana.edu/frankw/ccp/multiworld/multipleIVP/spherical/convert3d.gif

And [tex]\rho\geq{0}[/tex]

Okay, then you have:

[tex]\rho = \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}[/tex]
[tex]\phi = \cos^{-1}\left(\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}\right)[/tex]
[tex]\theta = \tan^{-1}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here it is:

attachment.php?attachmentid=28085&stc=1&d=1283969675.png

[tex]x>0[/tex]
[tex]y>0[/tex]
[tex]x^2+y^2\leq{\frac{z^2}{3}}\forall{}z\in{[\frac{\sqrt[ ]{3}}{2}},\sqrt[ ]{3}]}[/tex]
[tex]x^2+y^2+z^2\leq{4}\forall{z\in{(\sqrt[ ]{3},2]}}[/tex]
[tex]x^2+y^2+z^2\geq{1}[/tex]

Sorry, it took some time to make the draw. Anyway, its limited by the planes zy and zx, and by the sphere x²+y²+z²=1.

Thanks, I'll follow your indications.

Attachments

• pp.png
    pp.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:

1. What are Espheric coordinates?

Espheric coordinates are a way of representing points in three-dimensional space using a radial distance, an azimuth angle, and a polar angle.

2. How are Espheric coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Espheric coordinates are different from Cartesian coordinates in that they use angles and distance from a central point to represent a point in space, whereas Cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z coordinates relative to an origin point.

3. What is the conversion process from Espheric to Cartesian coordinates?

The conversion process from Espheric to Cartesian coordinates involves using trigonometric functions to calculate the x, y, and z coordinates from the given radial distance, azimuth angle, and polar angle.

4. Why are Espheric coordinates useful in scientific research?

Espheric coordinates are useful in scientific research because they can be used to describe the position of objects in three-dimensional space, which is often necessary in fields such as astronomy and physics.

5. Can Espheric coordinates be used in any dimension?

Yes, Espheric coordinates can be used in any number of dimensions. In three-dimensional space, they are referred to as Espheric coordinates, but in higher dimensions, they are known as hyperspheric coordinates.