Troubleshooting Infrared Wavelength Estimation Experiment

In summary, you need to use the CD to reflect the white light from the LED onto the camera, and then use the camera to take an image that shows the location of a bright spot. From there, you can estimate the wavelength of the IR light.
XXZZ

1. Homework Statement

Hi,
I have to do lab experiment - estimating infrared wavelength (from remote control). My experimental setup includes CD, remote control, webcam (without IR filter, so I can see the infrared radiation), sheet of paper (I will see diffracted light spots on it) with hole for infrared diode (opposite to the CD). I will obtain angle theta from distance between CD and diode (l) and between first order spot and hole (x). CD grooves spacing length (d) is known. So, I have no problem with theory behind this experiment.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

But when I tried to do that, something went wrong - independently of length between CD and sheet of paper (from a few centimeters to approx. one meter), I couldn't see the diffracted light! I could only see shining IR diode but nothing else. What I did wrong? Previously, I did similar experiment with laser pointer and everything was OK.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what equipment in your set-up is going to turn IR into something visible.

XXZZ said:
Setup is similar to that: http://physics4cqtran.blogspot.com/2012/10/experiment-12-cd-diffraction.html, but instead laser I used remote control. IR is invisible, but some cameras (like mine) are able to see IR - in this setup I saw light from remote control, but diffraction spots didn't appear.

I think you might have trouble using the CD to measure the diffraction or interference pattern of the LED. Unlike a laser, LEDs are not necessarily coherent light sources, and its that coherence that you want to produce the diffraction and/or interference patterns.

Not to mention that unlike a focused laser, the LED in the remote will shine in many directions -- not a focused beam -- so you won't be able to see the bright dot/pattern on a piece of paper. You'll have to somehow angle the CD such that the CD reflects the light -- similar to how a mirror reflects light -- from the LED, reflecting off of the CD, and into the webcam lens.

The CD will reflect different frequencies of light at different angles in a way similar to how a prism separates the colors of light. You can use that to your advantage.

You might start by setting up your equipment such that a white light shines through the hole in the paper, and the CD reflects that into the webcam. You should see a rainbow sort of image, taken by the webcam. [Edit: if you don't adjust the angle of the CD until a rainbow appears in the image.] You can use that as a reference: you know the wavelength of the different colors of visible light, and you can measure their respective angles via the image from the webcam.

Now here is the important thing. Without moving the piece of paper (with the hole in it) and without touching the position of the CD, replace the white light source with the IR LED source. (Again, do not change the position or orientation of the paper with the hole in it, and do not change the location or orientation of the CD! [or the position of the webcam!]) Then take the image using the webcam. In the image you should see some sort of bright spot. Compare the location of that bright spot to the previous image that contains the rainbow. With that, you should be able to obtain a rough estimate of the wavelength of the IR light. [Edit: by extrapolating.]

At least that's my guess on how you can do this experiment.

Last edited:

It's difficult to say exactly what went wrong without more information about your experimental setup and procedure. However, some possible explanations could be that the infrared radiation from the remote control is not strong enough to be detected by your webcam, or that the angle theta you are measuring is not accurate.

One suggestion would be to try using a more sensitive infrared detector, such as a photodiode or phototransistor, to see if you can detect the infrared radiation from the remote control. Another suggestion would be to double check your measurements and calculations to ensure that you are obtaining accurate values for the angle theta.

It may also be helpful to consult with your lab instructor or a fellow student who has successfully completed the experiment to see if they have any tips or insights. Good luck with your experiment!

1. What is the process for estimating IR wavelength?

The process for estimating IR wavelength involves using the equation λ = c/v, where λ represents the wavelength, c is the speed of light, and v is the frequency of the infrared radiation. This equation allows us to calculate the wavelength of the IR radiation based on its frequency.

2. How do you measure the frequency of infrared radiation?

The frequency of infrared radiation can be measured using a device called a spectrophotometer. This instrument measures the intensity of light at different wavelengths, allowing us to determine the frequency of the infrared radiation.

3. What factors can affect the estimated IR wavelength?

The estimated IR wavelength can be affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the chemical composition of the material emitting the infrared radiation. Additionally, the type of IR radiation (near, mid, or far-infrared) can also impact the estimated wavelength.

4. Can IR wavelength be estimated for all materials?

IR wavelength can be estimated for most materials, as long as they are capable of emitting or absorbing infrared radiation. However, some materials may have unique properties or structures that make it difficult to accurately estimate their IR wavelength.

5. How important is estimating IR wavelength in scientific research?

Estimating IR wavelength is crucial in scientific research as it allows us to understand the behavior and properties of materials at the molecular level. It is also essential for various applications, such as in the development of new materials, pharmaceuticals, and environmental monitoring.