Evaluate the integral by interpreting it in terms of areas

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
phillyolly
Messages
157
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The problem is in the attachment along with my answer. Can please one check if I got a correct answer?
Some sources say the answer is 2Pi instead of just Pi.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Attachments
  • answer.jpg
    answer.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 591
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure where you got that your graph was a quarter circle. The shape is right, but you need to check your bounds...
 
That is because x cannot be less than 0. In the problem, we take a square root of it, so x is more or equal to 0.
Right?
 
No, x can be less than zero. Your definite integral is from -2<x<2, after all. What is under your square root is not x, but 4-x^2. So 4-x^2 has to be greater than or equal to zero. Follow?
 
Please take look at a sample question in my book. I did my problem based on this example. I think I followed all its steps.
 
Attachments
  • theory.jpg
    theory.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 725
As Char limit has pointed out, they are similar in the fact that they deal with the graph of a circle, but check the bounds of the example problem and compare those with your problem, now think about how they differ.

Joe
 
Now I see, I didn't know that I should consider the bounds. Thank you, I got it.