1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Evaluate the integral by interpreting it in terms of areas

1. Jul 19, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is in the attachment along with my answer. Can please one check if I got a correct answer?
    Some sources say the answer is 2Pi instead of just Pi.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2010 #2

Char. Limit

Gold Member

I'm not sure where you got that your graph was a quarter circle. The shape is right, but you need to check your bounds...

4. Jul 19, 2010 #3
    That is because x cannot be less than 0. In the problem, we take a square root of it, so x is more or equal to 0.
    Right?

5. Jul 19, 2010 #4

Char. Limit

Gold Member

No, x can be less than zero. Your definite integral is from -2<x<2, after all. What is under your square root is not x, but 4-x^2. So 4-x^2 has to be greater than or equal to zero. Follow?

6. Jul 19, 2010 #5
    Please take look at a sample question in my book. I did my problem based on this example. I think I followed all its steps.

Attached Files:

7. Jul 19, 2010 #6
    As Char limit has pointed out, they are similar in the fact that they deal with the graph of a circle, but check the bounds of the example problem and compare those with your problem, now think about how they differ.

Joe

8. Jul 19, 2010 #7
    Now I see, I didn't know that I should consider the bounds. Thank you, I got it.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook