Evaluate the integral by interpreting it in terms of areas

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a possible incorrect answer and confusion about the bounds of the problem. The person asking for help references sources that suggest a different answer and compares their solution to a sample question from a book. The expert points out the need to consider the bounds and explains the difference between the example problem and the one being discussed. The person asking for help understands and thanks the expert for the clarification.
phillyolly

Homework Statement

The problem is in the attachment along with my answer. Can please one check if I got a correct answer?
Some sources say the answer is 2Pi instead of just Pi.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• answer.jpg
    answer.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure where you got that your graph was a quarter circle. The shape is right, but you need to check your bounds...

That is because x cannot be less than 0. In the problem, we take a square root of it, so x is more or equal to 0.
Right?

No, x can be less than zero. Your definite integral is from -2<x<2, after all. What is under your square root is not x, but 4-x^2. So 4-x^2 has to be greater than or equal to zero. Follow?

Please take look at a sample question in my book. I did my problem based on this example. I think I followed all its steps.

Attachments

• theory.jpg
    theory.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 628
As Char limit has pointed out, they are similar in the fact that they deal with the graph of a circle, but check the bounds of the example problem and compare those with your problem, now think about how they differ.

Joe

Now I see, I didn't know that I should consider the bounds. Thank you, I got it.

What is the purpose of evaluating an integral in terms of areas?

Evaluating an integral in terms of areas allows us to find the exact value of the integral by representing it as the area under a curve. This method is often used in real-world applications to solve problems related to volume, distance, and other physical quantities.

What is the process for interpreting an integral in terms of areas?

The process involves breaking down the given integral into smaller, simpler parts and representing each part as the area of a geometric shape (such as a rectangle or triangle). These areas are then added together to find the total area, which is the value of the integral.

Can any integral be interpreted in terms of areas?

Yes, any integral can be interpreted in terms of areas as long as it has a definite integral (meaning the limits of integration are specified). However, some integrals may require more complex geometric shapes to represent their areas.

How is the interpretation of an integral in terms of areas related to the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the derivative of the definite integral of a function is equal to the original function. When we interpret an integral in terms of areas, we are essentially finding the antiderivative of the function, which is what the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus allows us to do.

What are some practical applications of evaluating integrals in terms of areas?

There are many practical applications of this method, such as finding the volume of a solid, calculating the distance traveled by an object, and determining the work done by a force. It is also commonly used in physics, economics, and engineering to solve real-world problems.