Evaluate the integral by making the appropriate change in variables

In summary, making a change in variables when evaluating an integral allows for simplification and transformation of the integral, making it easier to solve. Some common substitutions include trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and u-substitution, and the choice of substitution depends on the integrand and form of the original integral. While not always necessary, making a change in variables can often make the process of evaluating an integral easier and more efficient. Additionally, it can change the value of the integral due to the use of different limits of integration and integrands.
ptguard1
∫∫9(x + y) e^(x2 − y2) dA, where R is the rectangle enclosed by the lines x−y=0, x−y=10, x+y=0, and x+y=5

Relevant Equations:

The Jacobian: ∂(x,y)/∂(u,v)

The attempt at a solution:

I began by making u=x+y and v=x^2-y^2

So, u=0 and u=5, but I don't know what to do with the x-y line segments.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why not try u=x+y, v=x-y? Seems simpler to me.

Wow, I just realized how much more sense that makes. Thank you.

1. What is the purpose of making a change in variables when evaluating an integral?

Making a change in variables allows us to simplify or transform the integral into a more manageable form, making it easier to solve and evaluate.

2. What are some common substitutions used when making a change in variables?

Some common substitutions include trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and u-substitution.

3. How do you determine which substitution to use?

The substitution used will depend on the integrand and the form of the original integral. It may require some algebraic manipulation or trial and error to find the appropriate substitution.

4. Is it always necessary to make a change in variables when evaluating an integral?

No, it is not always necessary. Some integrals can be evaluated without making a change in variables. However, it can often make the process easier and more efficient.

5. Can making a change in variables change the value of the integral?

Yes, making a change in variables can change the value of the integral. This is because the new integral may have different limits of integration and a different integrand, resulting in a different value.