Evaluate Integral of ln|x|/2 from 1 to 9: ln3 Calculation and Explanation

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral of 1/2x from 1 to 9 is equal to ln3, which is the natural logarithm of 3. This can be found by using the rule that a*ln(x) = ln (x^a), which was used to simplify ln(9)/2 to ln3. The absolute value brackets were dropped in the answer because the absolute value of 3 is 3, and for fixed numbers, the absolute value brackets can be removed. It is important to remember pre-calculus concepts when working with calculus.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
[tex]
\int_1^9 {\frac{1}{{2x}}\,dx}
[/tex]

[tex]
F(x) = \frac{{\ln \left| x \right|}}{2}
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{{\ln \left| 9 \right|}}{2} - \frac{{\ln \left| 1 \right|}}{2} = \frac{{\ln \left| 9 \right|}}{2} = \ln 3
[/tex]
The answer ln3 came from the back of the book. I realize from using my calculator that ln9 / 2 = ln3 , but I'm not sure why. I guess I forgot my rules of ln.

Also, since the anti-derivate section gives 1/x as ln abs(x), was I correct in carrying the absolute value brackets to the ln abs(9) / 2 ? Why did the back of the book drop the absolute value brackets from the answer?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Because the absolute value of 3 is 3.

Also ln(9)=ln(3^2)=2*ln(3), since ln(a^b)=b*ln(a).

Recall that a*ln(x) = ln (a^x).

Edit: ooops, late.

That makes sense. I will only need the abs brackets around a variable. If it is a fixed number, just get rid of the minus sign if any, and the brackets...

Thanks... the toughest part about this calculus is remembering the all the pre-calc!

radou said:
Recall that a*ln(x) = ln (a^x).

Edit: ooops, late.
Actually, I recall it as a*ln(x) = ln(x^a). :wink:

FAQ: Evaluate Integral of ln|x|/2 from 1 to 9: ln3 Calculation and Explanation

1. What is the value of the integral of ln|x|/2 from 1 to 9?

The value of the integral of ln|x|/2 from 1 to 9 is ln3.

2. How do you calculate the integral of ln|x|/2 from 1 to 9?

To calculate the integral of ln|x|/2 from 1 to 9, you can use the substitution method by setting u = ln|x| and du = 1/x dx. This will result in the integral becoming ∫ ln(x)/2 * (1/x) dx, which can then be solved using integration by parts.

3. What is the explanation behind the value of ln3 for the integral of ln|x|/2 from 1 to 9?

The value of ln3 for the integral of ln|x|/2 from 1 to 9 is the result of solving the integral using the substitution and integration by parts methods. The ln3 value represents the area under the curve of ln|x|/2 from 1 to 9 on the x-axis.

4. How does the integral of ln|x|/2 from 1 to 9 relate to the natural logarithm function?

The integral of ln|x|/2 from 1 to 9 is directly related to the natural logarithm function as it is the integral of the function itself. The natural logarithm function is the inverse of the exponential function and is commonly used in calculus to solve various integrals.

5. Can the integral of ln|x|/2 from 1 to 9 be simplified further?

No, the integral of ln|x|/2 from 1 to 9 cannot be simplified further as it is already in its simplest form. The ln3 value is the most simplified form of this integral and cannot be reduced any further.

Back