1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluating a basic double integral

1. May 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Integrate the following function f over the given region Ω:

f(x,y) = xy; Ω bounded by y = 0, x = 2a, and x^2 = 4a

3. The attempt at a solution

The given answer is (a^4)/3

The answer I got was (a^4)...ignore the answer I put in the attachment at the end, slight computational error.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1600/dsc0017ye.jpg [Broken]

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7238/dsc0016xd.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So the boundaries are given by y= 0, x= 2a, and [itex]x^2= 4ay[/itex]? (You forgot the "y" in the last equation.) Then x, over all, goes from 0 on the leftt ([itex]x^2= 4ay[/itex] and y= 0 intersect where [itex]x^2= 0[/itex]) to x= 2a on the right. Then for each x y goes from y= 0 to [itex]y= x^2/4a[/itex]. So your integral would be
    [tex]\int_{x=0}^{2a}\int_{y=0}^{x^2/4} xy dydx[/tex]

You may have misled yourself by miswriting [itex]x^2= 4ay[/itex] as [itex]x^2= 4a[/itex].

4. May 1, 2012 #3
    Ah. I mistakenly typed it like that, however I still calculated it with [itex]x^2 = 4ay[/itex] on paper, my mistake was with the bound of the second integral.

I don't understand how that upper bound of y is [itex] y = (x^2)/4a[/itex]

I thought if the upper bound of x was 2a, then we substitute that into y-equation and hence get the upper bound of y. That's how I ended up getting "a" as the upper bound, which I can now see is incorrect, but I don't understand why.

5. May 1, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, what you are trying to do is wrong. In order that the result of a double integral be a number, the limits of integration on the "outer" integral must be constants but the "inner" integral may have the "outer" variable in its limits of integration. In fact, an integral like
    [tex]\int_a^b \int_c^d f(x,y) dy[/tex]
    is over the rectangle with boundaries x= a, x= b, y= c y= d. To have an integration over any region other than a rectangle, limits of integration on the "inner" integral must be functions, not constants.

Yes,, x goes from 0 to 2a and, for each x, y goes from y=0 up to the upper boundary, [itex]y=x^2/4a[/itex].

6. May 1, 2012 #5
    Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook