How to Correctly Calculate This Basic Double Integral?

In summary, the function f takes on the values x= 2a and x= 4a as the boundaries of the region Ω are y= 0, x= 2a, and x^2= 4a.
NewtonianAlch

Homework Statement

Integrate the following function f over the given region Ω:

f(x,y) = xy; Ω bounded by y = 0, x = 2a, and x^2 = 4a

The Attempt at a Solution

The given answer is (a^4)/3

The answer I got was (a^4)...ignore the answer I put in the attachment at the end, slight computational error.

http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/1600/dsc0017ye.jpg

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/7238/dsc0016xd.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So the boundaries are given by y= 0, x= 2a, and [itex]x^2= 4ay[/itex]? (You forgot the "y" in the last equation.) Then x, over all, goes from 0 on the leftt ([itex]x^2= 4ay[/itex] and y= 0 intersect where [itex]x^2= 0[/itex]) to x= 2a on the right. Then for each x y goes from y= 0 to [itex]y= x^2/4a[/itex]. So your integral would be
[tex]\int_{x=0}^{2a}\int_{y=0}^{x^2/4} xy dydx[/tex]

You may have misled yourself by miswriting [itex]x^2= 4ay[/itex] as [itex]x^2= 4a[/itex].

Ah. I mistakenly typed it like that, however I still calculated it with [itex]x^2 = 4ay[/itex] on paper, my mistake was with the bound of the second integral.

I don't understand how that upper bound of y is [itex] y = (x^2)/4a[/itex]

I thought if the upper bound of x was 2a, then we substitute that into y-equation and hence get the upper bound of y. That's how I ended up getting "a" as the upper bound, which I can now see is incorrect, but I don't understand why.

No, what you are trying to do is wrong. In order that the result of a double integral be a number, the limits of integration on the "outer" integral must be constants but the "inner" integral may have the "outer" variable in its limits of integration. In fact, an integral like
[tex]\int_a^b \int_c^d f(x,y) dy[/tex]
is over the rectangle with boundaries x= a, x= b, y= c y= d. To have an integration over any region other than a rectangle, limits of integration on the "inner" integral must be functions, not constants.

Yes,, x goes from 0 to 2a and, for each x, y goes from y=0 up to the upper boundary, [itex]y=x^2/4a[/itex].

Thank you!

1. What is a basic double integral?

A basic double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume under a curved surface in two-dimensional space. It involves integrating a function over a specified region in the xy-plane.

2. How do you evaluate a basic double integral?

To evaluate a basic double integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration, which define the region over which the integral is being evaluated. Then, you can use various integration techniques, such as the substitution or integration by parts methods, to solve the integral and obtain a numerical value.

3. What is the purpose of evaluating a basic double integral?

The purpose of evaluating a basic double integral is to find the volume under a curved surface. This can have practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where calculating volumes is necessary for solving real-world problems.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a basic double integral?

Some common mistakes to avoid when evaluating a basic double integral include incorrect determination of the limits of integration, forgetting to include the correct constants or variables in the integral, and making errors during the integration process. It is important to carefully check your work and use proper notation to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can a basic double integral be evaluated using software or calculators?

Yes, basic double integrals can be evaluated using software or calculators. There are many mathematical software programs and online tools available that can quickly and accurately solve basic double integrals. However, it is still important to understand the concepts and techniques involved in evaluating a basic double integral in order to verify the results and catch any potential errors.