Evaluating a Surface Integral: How to Solve a Tricky Integration Problem?

In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a challenging surface integral problem and the various attempts made by the individual to solve it. They discussed using trig substitutions and decomposition into partial fractions, and ultimately found a solution using a website.
radji

Homework Statement

1_zpslccngogo.jpg

It is evaluating a surface integral.

Homework Equations

s∫ f(x,y,z) dS = ∫R∫ f[x,y,g(x,y)]√(1+[gx(x,y)]2+[gy(x,y)]2) dA

The Attempt at a Solution

I set z=g(x) and found my partial derivatives to be gx=√x, and gy=0. I then inserted them back into the radical and came up with √(1+x). After integrating with respect to y (dydx) I had the final integral of 2/3 ∫ x5/2(1+x)1/2 dx. Instructor said to do integration by parts twice, which I've done and it still is a non integrable function. U and V keep increasing/decreasing their exponents without simplifying. I can't get wolfram alpha or symbolab to give me an answer either.

Physics news on Phys.org
radji said:

Homework Statement

1_zpslccngogo.jpg

It is evaluating a surface integral.

Homework Equations

s∫ f(x,y,z) dS = ∫R∫ f[x,y,g(x,y)]√(1+[gx(x,y)]2+[gy(x,y)]2) dA

The Attempt at a Solution

I set z=g(x) and found my partial derivatives to be gx=√x, and gy=0. I then inserted them back into the radical and came up with √(1+x). After integrating with respect to y (dydx) I had the final integral of 2/3 ∫ x5/2(1+x)1/2 dx. Instructor said to do integration by parts twice, which I've done and it still is a non integrable function. U and V keep increasing/decreasing their exponents without simplifying. I can't get wolfram alpha or symbolab to give me an answer either.
Have you tried a trig substitution?

haruspex said:
Have you tried a trig substitution?
Yes sir, I have. But I couldn't get the √(1+x) to change to a single trig function since its 1+x.

radji said:
Yes sir, I have. But I couldn't get the √(1+x) to change to a single trig function since its 1+x.
What substitution for x will make 1+x the square of a trig function?

2 cos2(u) + 1. I've substituted x for 2 cos2(u) + 1. It gets rid of the (x+1)1/2, but I also get that identity within the 2/3x5/2. And I can't get that expression to simplify out now.

radji said:
2 cos2(u) + 1. I've substituted x for 2 cos2(u) + 1. It gets rid of the (x+1)1/2, but I also get that identity within the 2/3x5/2. And I can't get that expression to simplify out now.
Clearly, it will help if x is also the square of a trig function. I can think of two substitutions that will achieve both. One uses hyperbolic trig functions, but the other is very widely used in integrals.

haruspex said:
Clearly, it will help if x is also the square of a trig function. I can think of two substitutions that will achieve both. One uses hyperbolic trig functions, but the other is very widely used in integrals.
Thank you for this. I did come up with a reasonable answer using 1+tan2u=sec2u.
It still was not the correct answer, but at least I know it how to integrate such a function now. I've attached my work so you all can let me know where else I am miscalculating. Thank you!
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/NFVj3nYZrfy8V3XCCiLjnFeN_FbRbxxStVPkryH_dVVHzTPy1Iv3wNmu5HYBFDFVLhFEPxp2q9TcEog9f54qiAWBTAUJtcIpfCO8Hfm185IBQoY_hqqc2sO1Vm05_-m5-ddXtDlH6E7sPeXX6bOZfDsOwZhDqWOv-IoJn5ciGE5sDiNta86vrP9eQbA2zDrb6al1Zf5Kdu5Ne_9cDOe4l913_HGws144IT0fQwoAUb5EWdz1Slm0ARsllpj-Abtqmr3oVxxLBohohZEv3F-KcaApOjdkRpsbLRali_VEfaQDdgl1D2VDInb46D7NTCitR2ZwXOyrTOCh4-oo2OhCEMRpD8QaG_3if7U7yEYFg8MaPVzJ_Z0goZZ3laO2G70Gk_2fL5vl6z3EtkuS8sZMiBLE4-L74LlRausEZYHRZTMesm25FdGcTE43YH9FFJeRjdXI1lNzhRXyFVhBM05NT8LD7U66eHFwrdCzL9rrowQrqb91b68fjAj7MiK1o-yI3Tngw0J3j22DLcl0HjL63Rgqmk2LBbI-cysEaLhmQN54mYvnq4T41o8kl3VF2EoGuWGHImVwIN3GslgX-9i0Q7rFAklYiTo=w924-h1576-no

Last edited:
radji said:
Thank you for this. I did come up with a reasonable answer using 1+tan2u=sec2u.
It still was not the correct answer, but at least I know it how to integrate such a function now. I've attached my work so you all can let me know where else I am miscalculating. Thank you!
You failed to take the square root of sec2.

You're absolutely right. That leaves me with tan6u * sec3u. Wondering how that can be integrated...

radji said:
You're absolutely right. That leaves me with tan6u * sec3u. Wondering how that can be integrated...
With an expression like that, I look for a way of getting rid of the trig by using the standard equations sin(x).dx=-d cos(x), etc.
If you pick the right one, you should get something that you can split up into standard integrals using partial fractions, but I warn you, it looks messy.

Edit: just realized there are web pages in plenty where you can just plug in your rational function and it will decompose into partial fractions for you. That makes it quite easy.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help. I ended up using a website to decompose it to partial fractions. It was a very messy solution.

##u=\frac 1 {288} (61\sqrt 2 - 15 sinh^{-1}(1))##

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical tool used to calculate the flux (amount of flow) of a vector field across a surface. It is similar to a regular integral, but instead of integrating over a one-dimensional curve, it integrates over a two-dimensional surface.

2. What is the purpose of evaluating a surface integral?

The purpose of evaluating a surface integral is to find the total amount of flow of a vector field across a given surface. This can be useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics, to understand the behavior of fluids or electric/magnetic fields.

3. How do you evaluate a surface integral?

To evaluate a surface integral, you first need to parameterize the surface using two variables, typically u and v. Then, you can calculate the surface area element dS using the cross product of the two partial derivatives of the surface. Finally, you integrate the vector field over the surface using the surface area element as the integrand.

4. What are some real-world applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many real-world applications. For example, they can be used to calculate the force of a fluid on a surface, the electric/magnetic flux through a surface, or the mass of an object with a varying density. They are also used in computer graphics to render three-dimensional objects.

5. What are some common challenges when evaluating a surface integral?

One common challenge when evaluating a surface integral is choosing the correct parameterization for the surface. This can be tricky and may require a lot of practice. Another challenge is setting up the integral correctly, as it can be easy to make mistakes with the surface area element or the limits of integration. Lastly, evaluating the integral itself can be challenging, especially if the vector field or surface is complex.