Evaluating point using derivative graph

In summary, the homework equation is f(x) = x2 + 5. The derivative is 2x, and when you take the integral of 2x you get x2 + C because you have no way of knowing the value of any constant that may have been added to x2 before you differentiated it.
wvcaudill2

Homework Statement

no19.jpg

*note that this is the graph of the derivitive of the function f(x).

Homework Equations

Possibly the fundamental theorems of calculus?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this problem should be easy, but I am not seeing how my book comes to the answer. Below is the solution my book gives:
f(-2)=f(2) + [tex]\int[/tex]f'(x)dx = 1-[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
The limits of integration are from 2 to -2

Obviously, the first part of the eqn is given, but what exactly does the integral do, and why should the limits be reversed? Furthermore, it seems that if you evaluated the eqn, you would end up with:
f(2) + f(-2) - f(2)
it seems like this would get you nowhere. . .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, first of all what is the integral of f'(x) from -2 to 2? Just add up the signed area under the curve of f'(x). Then use that the result should be f(2)-f(-2) by the fundamental theorem of calculus.

You know the fundamental theorem of calculus, if F is an antiderivative of f then

[tex]F(b) - F(a) = \int_a^b f(x)\, dx[/tex]

The point being that the integrand, f, is the derivative of the function F. Rephrasing it in those terms gives the equivalent form

[tex]f(b) - f(a) = \int_a^b f'(x)\, dx[/tex]

Using -2 and 2 for a and b:

[tex]f(2) - f(-2) = \int_{-2}^2 f'(x)\, dx[/tex]

and solving for f(-2) gives your equation

[tex]f(-2) = f(2) - \int_{-2}^2 f'(x)\, dx[/tex]

Now to solve the problem you have only to realize that integrals geometrically represent signed area under the curve. So look at the picture and total up that area.

Oh, I was unaware of the equivalent form. This makes much more sense now!

One last question though. One of the theorems states that the derivative of an integral is the original function. Does this statement also work in reverse? I.e. the integral of a derivative also yields the original equation?

wvcaudill2 said:

One last question though. One of the theorems states that the derivative of an integral is the original function. Does this statement also work in reverse? I.e. the integral of a derivative also yields the original equation?

Yes, the integral of a derivative is the difference of the original function.

wvcaudill2 said:

To within a constant. Start with f(x) = x2 + 5. Its derivative is 2x. When you take the integral of 2x you get x2 + C because you have no way of knowing the value of any constant that may have been added to x2 before you differentiated it.

Okay, thanks for your help guys! I really appreciate it!

What is the purpose of evaluating points using a derivative graph?

The purpose of evaluating points using a derivative graph is to determine the slope of a function at a specific point. This can give insight into the rate of change of the function and can be used to find maximum and minimum points.

How do you find the slope of a function using a derivative graph?

To find the slope of a function using a derivative graph, you can look at the tangent line at the desired point. The slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the function at that point.

What are the key features of a derivative graph?

The key features of a derivative graph include the slope of the tangent line at a specific point, the behavior of the graph at critical points (where the derivative is equal to 0), and the concavity of the graph (whether it is increasing or decreasing).

How can evaluating points using a derivative graph be useful in real-life applications?

Evaluating points using a derivative graph can be useful in real-life applications such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can help to analyze the rate of change of various quantities and make predictions about future behavior.

What are some common mistakes when evaluating points using a derivative graph?

Some common mistakes when evaluating points using a derivative graph include not considering the scale of the axes, not labeling critical points, and not properly interpreting the slope of the tangent line in relation to the function.