Triple Integral Evaluation: Where Did I Go Wrong?

In summary, the conversation is about a student's attempt at a solution to a problem involving integration and calculation. They believe they have arrived at the correct answer, but it is not being accepted by the computer. Another student points out a mistake in their calculation, leading to the correct solution being 32pi/3 instead of 16pi/3.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2559/triple.th.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get 16pi/3 (sqrt(2) -1) as the final result, but when I input the answer to the computer, it doesn't accept it. Am I doing a wrong integration/calculation anywhere? I double checked and I can't to find anything wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems that when you multiplied by 2pi, you said 16/3* 2pi=16pi/3...that's not really true is it?:wink:

oh so it should be 32pi/3 then.. thanks for pointing out the silly mistake

You went from
[tex]-\frac{1}{3}\left(4^{3}{2}-8^{3}{2})-\frac{8}{3}[/tex]
to
[tex]\frac{16}{3}(\sqrt{2}-1)[/tex]
instead of
[tex]\frac{8}{3}(2\sqrt{2}-1)[/tex]

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an extension of the concept of a single and double integral in calculus. It is a mathematical tool used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional shape or the mass of a three-dimensional object. It involves integrating a function over a region in three-dimensional space.

2. How is a triple integral evaluated?

To evaluate a triple integral, we first need to determine the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, z) and then set up the integral using the appropriate order of integration. We then solve the integral using various integration techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts, depending on the complexity of the function.

3. What are the different types of triple integrals?

There are two types of triple integrals: a definite triple integral and an indefinite triple integral. A definite triple integral has specific limits of integration and will yield a numerical value as the result. An indefinite triple integral does not have limits of integration and will result in a function of the remaining variable.

4. What are the applications of triple integrals?

Triple integrals have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate volume, mass, center of mass, moments of inertia, and other physical quantities of three-dimensional objects. They are also used in calculating probabilities in statistics and in solving differential equations in partial derivatives.

5. Can a triple integral always be evaluated analytically?

No, not all triple integrals can be evaluated analytically. Some integrals may have complex or difficult functions that cannot be integrated using traditional methods. In these cases, numerical methods, such as Monte Carlo simulation or Gaussian quadrature, are used to approximate the value of the integral.