Everyday applications of relativity

In summary: Please don't resurrect it.In summary, GPS systems use the principles of special relativity to coordinate time signals and triangulate locations, making them accurate to within 11 meters. This is due to the effects of time dilation and gravitational pull on the satellites. Special relativity also plays a role in other everyday technologies, such as spintronics and ring laser gyros in inertial navigation systems. The effects of special relativity can also be seen in everyday phenomena, such as magnetism.
resurgance2001
I have heard about the use of SR in GPS systems. A friend of mine asked whyh it is necessary for GPS systems to be able to measure time so accurately? What has time got to do with finding one's location?

Also, I've heard about the application of SR by physicists doing high energy particle experiments. Are there any other every day applications of SR?

Physics news on Phys.org
cool - thanks

resurgance2001 said:
I have heard about the use of SR in GPS systems. A friend of mine asked whyh it is necessary for GPS systems to be able to measure time so accurately? What has time got to do with finding one's location?

Also, I've heard about the application of SR by physicists doing high energy particle experiments. Are there any other every day applications of SR?

Spintronics is one of the most promising technological applications of special relativity (together with QM ofcourse).

To make GPS systems more accurate, the principles of SR are also used. More specifically : In Special Relativity, Einstein came to the conclusion that time will evolve slower when objects are moving very fast. So the faster you move, the slower you will grow older. This is the famous twin paradox. Another effect is that time will evolve faster when the strength of the gravitational interaction is lower. Here on Earth we will never feel these effects because we all feel the same gravity and we never move that fast with respect to one and other, so that we will see these time-differences.

However the satellite of GPS moves at about 14.000 km/hour and Special Relativity can prove that a clock on this satellite will be 7 microseconds, per day, behind with respect to a clock here on earth. Given the fact that these satellites are at about 20.000 km above the earth’s surface, they will feel only 25% of the gravity that we feel here on earth. This results in the fact that the clock on the satellite will be 45 microseconds ahead with respect to a clock here on earth. If we add up these relativistic effects we need to incorporate a time difference of 45 – 7 = 38 microseconds for each day that has passed. If we did not incorporate these corrections, the satellites would exhibit a deviation of 11 kilometers, per day, in their measurements. So they would give us an error of 11 km per day ! Thanks to these corrections we can position someone via GPS with an accuracy of about 11 meters !

greets
marlon

I am not a scientist but I know that the Ring Laser Gyros in inertial navigation systems are based on the speed of light being the same from all inertial frames of reference.

I thought that GPS corrections were mostly necessary due to General Relativity. Since the satellites are further out in the Earth's gravity well and there is a time dilation/contraction effect to counterbalance when the satellites communicate with the ground. The special relativistic effect from the satellite's velocity is much smaller...

That is true (the link tells the proportions), but both are still needed.

How many decimal places is 30 nano seconds compared to a second?

Just thought I'd point out that a good expository paper on relativistic effects in GPS is http://www.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0507121 (don't be confused by last sentence of the abstract; the author is not implying that he thinks relativity theory is not needed, a common claim among the anti-Einstein crowd; quite the opposite, since in fact he is working on a next generation navigation system which will be fully relativistic from the outset, rather than adding "relativistic corrections" to a Newtonian model.)

If we're after everday aspects or effects of special relativity, how about magnetism?

Seems to be a field which arises (or at least can be explained and quantified) as a change which occurs in an electrostatic field when the charges are moving relative to the observer, and which is a result of the relativistic contraction of the volume containing the moving charges.

I can't think of any other relativistic effect which is so apparent in everyday life... so apparent that we've given it a separate name 'magnetic field'. And it occurs at speeds (few cm/s?) which are so far below c...

J.

resurgance2001 said:

There are a great many GPS products that are used only to display the correct time to better than a microsecond. These would not work without the location also being known because it takes light one microsecond to travel a thousand feet. Prior time distribution methods (WWV for example) require the user to manually take into account the time it takes for the radio transmission to arrive and on a moving platform, this can be very difficult.

GPS is not really an application of SR, but a convenient means for testing SR.
Any regular clock disagreement would be adjusted for automatically based on experience.

This thread died out seven years ago.

1. How is relativity used in GPS technology?

Relativity plays a crucial role in the accurate functioning of GPS systems. The satellites used in GPS are affected by both special and general relativity, causing them to experience time dilation and gravitational shifts. Without accounting for these effects, the GPS would be inaccurate by several kilometers.

2. How does relativity affect our perception of time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is not absolute but is relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that time can appear to pass at different rates for different observers, depending on their relative speeds and positions. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and has been observed in experiments involving high-speed particles and atomic clocks.

3. Can relativity explain the bending of light?

Yes, Einstein's theory of general relativity explains the phenomenon of gravitational lensing, where the gravitational pull of massive objects like galaxies can bend the path of light. This has been observed and confirmed through astronomical observations, such as the bending of light from distant galaxies around massive galaxy clusters.

4. How is relativity relevant in our daily lives?

Relativity has a significant impact on modern technological advancements, such as GPS, satellite communication, and atomic clocks, which have become essential tools in our daily lives. Additionally, the principles of relativity have also been applied in the development of medical imaging techniques, such as MRI, and in the field of energy production.

5. Can relativity be applied to everyday phenomena?

Yes, relativity is not just a theoretical concept but has practical applications in everyday phenomena. For example, the concept of mass-energy equivalence, E=mc², is used in nuclear power plants and medical treatments, such as radiation therapy. The principles of relativity are also used in the design of high-speed trains, airplanes, and other transportation systems.