What Determines the Range of Bound States in a Spherical Finite Well?

In summary, when R=\pi/2, there are no bound states and the precise range of bound states is determined by the restriction -V_{0}<E<0.
Void123

Homework Statement

I was reviewing some homework problems and looking at the solutions. There is one problem with a tiny step I just cannot rationalize and I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a spherical finite well:

[tex] V = {- V_{0}: 0 < r < a}[/tex],

[tex] = {0: r \geq a} [/tex]

[tex]- k_{2} = k_{1} cot (k_{1} a)[/tex] (1)

Refining the notation,

[tex]\alpha = a \sqrt{(2m(E + V_{0})}/hbar = k_{1} a[/tex]

[tex]R = a \sqrt{(2m(V_{0})}/hbar[/tex] and [tex]k_{2} = \sqrt{(2m(V_{0})}/hbar[/tex]

So (1) may be rewritten as [tex] \sqrt{R^{2} - \alpha^{2}} = - \alpha cot (\alpha)[/tex]

Homework Equations

From part 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand how at [tex] R = \pi/2 [/tex] there are no bound states.

Also, I am given this restriction: [tex] -V_{0} < E < 0 [/tex]

How is this justified and how is the precise range of bound states determined?

Physics news on Phys.org
When [itex]R=\pi/2[/itex], the only solutions are at [itex]\alpha=\pm\pi/2[/itex]. In these cases, you get k2=0.

1. How can I effectively manage my time while preparing for exams?

To effectively manage your time during exam preparation, it is important to create a study schedule and stick to it. Prioritize your studying based on the difficulty of the subject and allocate enough time for breaks and rest. Also, avoid procrastination and start studying early to avoid last-minute cramming.

2. Is it better to study alone or in a group for exams?

The answer to this question may vary depending on personal preference. Some students may find it more productive to study alone as they can focus better, while others may benefit from group study sessions where they can discuss and clarify concepts with their peers. It is important to find what works best for you and stick to it.

3. How can I stay motivated while studying for exams?

Staying motivated during exam preparation can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to stay on track. Set realistic goals, reward yourself for small achievements, and take breaks to avoid burnout. It may also help to study in a quiet and comfortable environment and to remind yourself of the long-term benefits of doing well on the exam.

4. What are some effective study techniques for exam preparation?

Some effective study techniques for exam preparation include making flashcards, summarizing notes, practicing past exams or questions, and teaching the material to someone else. It is also important to actively engage with the material rather than just passively reading or memorizing it.

5. How can I reduce test anxiety and perform better on exams?

To reduce test anxiety, it is important to practice relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, positive self-talk, and visualization. It may also help to be well-rested and well-nourished on the day of the exam. Additionally, try to focus on the present moment and avoid overthinking or dwelling on past mistakes.