Exercise about an aqueous solution (containing a halogen)

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter Ako9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary: I did the calculation and seem to be getting nonsense numbers. Concentration in % is honestly the devil.
Ako9
Misplaced Homework Thread
Homework Statement
"An aqueous solution, with 5% of CaX_2 (X is an halogen), freezes at t=-1.396°C. K_cr=1.860. Find X."
Relevant Equations
$$\Delta t = K_{cr}\cdot m \cdot i$$
I can't find my mistake, can you help me?

I suppose that in 1000g of solution there are 50g of solute and 950g of solvent.
Then I find the molality
$$m= \frac{50}{MM} \cdot \frac{1}{0.950}$$
So I can find the Molar Mass of the compound using the relation $$\Delta t=K_{cr}\cdot m \cdot i$$ where i is the van 't Hoff coefficient which is 3 in this case.
At the end I don't find an halogen (Rubidium is the closest) so I assume something is wrong but I can't see what.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've done the calculation correctly - at least, I agree with your answer. You get a halogen if you assume there are 50g solute to 1000g water. I'm never quite sure what people mean when they say "x% solution" with no further specification. Perhaps they think that this solution is sufficiently dilute that you can make this approximation, but that seems inconsistent with measuring T to 4 sig figs. (By the way, we usually use T for temperature, t for time.)

Likes Ako9
Last time I checked rubidium wasn't a halogen :wink:

The molality can be found exactly using the information given and the freezing point of water. You didn't use this number?

Mayhem said:
The molality can be found exactly using the information given and the freezing point of water. You didn't use this number?
They did, but it doesn't produce a reasonable answer. Turns out the 5% part is unreliable, try to do the calculations assuming 50/950 and 50/1000 and you will see where the problem is.

Likes Ako9
Borek said:
They did, but it doesn't produce a reasonable answer. Turns out the 5% part is unreliable, try to do the calculations assuming 50/950 and 50/1000 and you will see where the problem is.
I did the calculation and seem to be getting nonsense numbers. Concentration in % is honestly the devil.

Likes Ako9
% is OK as long as used correctly, it is just misused here.

1. What is an aqueous solution?

An aqueous solution is a solution in which water is the solvent. This means that the substance being dissolved, known as the solute, is dissolved in water.

2. What is a halogen?

A halogen is a group of elements in the periodic table that includes fluorine, chlorine, bromine, iodine, and astatine. They are highly reactive nonmetals and are often used in disinfectants and other chemical compounds.

3. How does a halogen affect an aqueous solution?

A halogen can affect an aqueous solution by reacting with the water or other compounds present. For example, chlorine can react with water to form hydrochloric acid, while iodine can react with starch to form a blue-black complex.

4. What are some common exercises involving an aqueous solution with a halogen?

Some common exercises involving an aqueous solution with a halogen include titrations, where a halogen is used as an indicator to determine the endpoint of a reaction, and redox reactions, where a halogen is used as an oxidizing or reducing agent.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with an aqueous solution containing a halogen?

When working with an aqueous solution containing a halogen, it is important to wear appropriate protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, as these substances can be corrosive and toxic. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and to properly dispose of any waste materials.