How Do I Expand Composite Functions in Mathematics?

In summary, the student is trying to find the formula for g^-1, except they are having trouble with how to expand the function f(g^-1(x)). They realize that if they restrict the domain of the inverse function, it becomes one-one and their solution will be correct.
matrix_204
Expanding Composite Functions(urgent help needed)

I had to solve an assignment question, we are asked to find the formula for g^-1, except once i plug n do everything, i come up with x=f(g^-1(x)+c), which is x=f(g^-1(x)) + f(c), now i m suppose to put the formula in terms of g^-1=..., but i don't know how i can expand the function f(g^-1(x)). So how do i expand composite functions?

Physics news on Phys.org
g-1(x) is just the argument you are passing into the function f. So treat it no differently than you would if you were passing in x, or t, or y etc:

E.g. if f(x) = x2, then f(g-1(x)) = [g-1(x)]2

Also, we haven't learned the chain rule or derivatives yet, so it doesn't involve any of that in the solution.

:confused: There was no differentiation of any kind in my last post.

If you could post the expression for f(x), that would be helpful.

well that is obvious to me, its just that, i don't know how to expand.
This is the question.
Suppose f is a one-one function. g(x)=f(x + c) for all x s.t. x +c (element)dom f , now prove that g is one-one and find the formula for g^-1.

so basically, any one-one function f, can possibly work, don't you think?

x=f(g^-1(x)+c), which is x=f(g^-1(x)) + f(c)

Why do you think that?

Anyways, what about using f^-1 somewhere?

I realized though, that since the squaring funcion is one-one. That means i can suppose for f that it is f(x)=x^2.
So then, x=g(g^-1(x))=f(g^-1(x)) + f(c)=[g^-1(x)]^2 + c^2.
So x - c^2=[g^-1(x)]^2.
So g^-1(x)=sq.root(x - c^2).
Plz tell me if this is right.

f(x) = x^2 is not one to one (unless you restrict the domain of the inverse function appropriately).

so if i restrict the domain of the inverse, then it becomes one-one and then my solution will be correct right.

btw can someone give me a proof of the function f(x)=x^2, as being one-one.

that since the squaring funcion is one-one. That means i can suppose for f that it is f(x)=x^2.

You cannot; you're reversing the statement.

The statement "the squaring function is one-one" does not mean you can say "a one-one function is the squaring function".

(And, of course, you have cephid's observation that the squaring function is not one-one)

i c, i realized that i should have used the cubic function, since that is one-one.

1. What is the definition of expanding composite functions?

Expanding composite functions involves breaking down a complex function into smaller, simpler functions in order to better understand and analyze its behavior.

2. How do you expand composite functions?

To expand composite functions, you can use the chain rule to differentiate the function and then simplify the resulting expression by substituting in the values of the simpler functions. Alternatively, you can use the method of substitution to rewrite the function in terms of simpler functions.

3. Why is expanding composite functions useful?

Expanding composite functions allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of a complex function and can make it easier to solve problems and make predictions. It also allows for the identification of patterns and relationships among the simpler functions.

4. Can you give an example of expanding a composite function?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x) = (x^2 + 3x + 5)^3. We can expand this function by using the binomial theorem to rewrite it as f(x) = x^6 + 9x^5 + 30x^4 + 45x^3 + 75x^2 + 225x + 125.

5. How is expanding composite functions related to real-world applications?

Expanding composite functions can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to model and analyze real-world phenomena. For example, in physics, the expansion of composite functions can help in the understanding of motion and forces, while in economics, it can be used to analyze supply and demand curves.