Expanding Fraction with Infinite Value: Simple Expansion Homework Solution

• Thread starter spacetimedude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the conversation is about expanding the function ##(1 + x^2)^{-1/2}## for small ##x = a/z##. The first step is to rearrange the equation and then use the first derivative to find the second term in the expansion. The second non-zero term can be found using the second derivative.
spacetimedude

Homework Statement

I am trying to expand [itex]\frac{1}{(1+\frac{a^2}{z^2})^{1/2}}[/itex] for z>>a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I rearranged the equation to [itex](1+\frac{a^2}{z^2})^{-1/2}[/itex]. After this, since z>>a, can I assume z takes a value of infinity and say the first term is 1+0=1? And I am not sure what to do for the second term. I take the first derivative which is [itex]-\frac{1}{2}(1+\frac{a^2}{z^2})^{-3/2}(\frac{-2a^2}{z^3})[/itex] and not sure what to do with it.
Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
spacetimedude said:

Homework Statement

I am trying to expand [itex]\frac{1}{(1+\frac{a^2}{z^2})^{1/2}}[/itex] for z>>a.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I rearranged the equation to [itex](1+\frac{a^2}{z^2})^{-1/2}[/itex]. After this, since z>>a, can I assume z takes a value of infinity and say the first term is 1+0=1? And I am not sure what to do for the second term. I take the first derivative which is [itex]-\frac{1}{2}(1+\frac{a^2}{z^2})^{-3/2}(\frac{-2a^2}{z^3})[/itex] and not sure what to do with it.
Any help will be appreciated.

So, are you not just trying to expand ##(1 + x^2)^{-1/2}## for small ##x = a/z##?

Ray Vickson said:
So, are you not just trying to expand ##(1 + x^2)^{-1/2}## for small ##x = a/z##?
I'm having difficulty understanding how to expand for small x. I've only come across questions that ask something like "expand this function around x= some number". Do I take x=0?

EDIT: Ah, so do I take x=0 and is the second non-zero term the term using second derivative?

Related to Expanding Fraction with Infinite Value: Simple Expansion Homework Solution

1. What is expansion in science?

In science, expansion refers to the increase in size or volume of a substance when it is heated or exposed to certain conditions. This can also refer to the expansion of the universe as a whole.

2. How does expansion occur?

Expansion occurs due to the increase in energy and movement of particles within a substance. When heated, the particles begin to move faster and take up more space, resulting in expansion.

3. What are some examples of expansion?

One common example of expansion is the increase in volume of a gas when heated. Another example is the expansion of materials such as metal or concrete when exposed to high temperatures.

4. What are the practical applications of understanding expansion?

Understanding expansion is important in many fields, including engineering, construction, and meteorology. It can help predict and prevent structural damage due to temperature changes, and it is also important in weather forecasting.

5. What factors affect expansion?

The expansion of a substance is affected by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the material's composition. The type of material and its physical properties also play a role in determining the amount of expansion that will occur.