1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expansion of 1/sqrt(1-x)

1. Apr 16, 2012 #1
    how do you find the binomial expansion of 1/sqrt(1-x) in series form?

i know what the term by term expansion is but i'm trying to find the series representation,

the closest i have found involved double factorials and i'm sure there's an easier representation,

i've been trying to use the binomial theorem but i get fractional factorials which just give ∞.

is there some formula that i haven't been able to find to apply to this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2012 #2
    Assuming first of all that you have the correct coefficients for the binomial expansion of 1/√(1+x) as below,
    [tex]\underbrace{\frac{1}{2}}_{n=1}, \underbrace{\frac{1\cdot 3}{2\cdot 4}}_{n=2}, \underbrace{\frac{1\cdot 3\cdot 5}{2\cdot 4\cdot 6}}_{n=3}, \underbrace{\frac{1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdot 7}{2\cdot 4\cdot 6\cdot 8}}_{n=4}, ...[/tex]there is a way to get a nice closed formula for the coefficients without double factorials :smile:

If you look at the denominator of the fourth term for example,
    2·4·6·8 = 2(1)·2(2)·2(3)·2(4) = 24·4!
    then the general form for the denominator is 2nn!

Now for the numerator of the fourth term,
    1·3·5·7 = (1·2·3·4·5·6·7·8)/(2·4·6·8) = 8!/(24·4!)
    and so the general form for the numerator is (2n)!/(2nn!)

Combining them together gives you
    [tex]\frac{(2n)!}{(2^nn!)^2}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook