What is the formula for the binomial expansion of 1/sqrt(1-x) in series form?

• Thread starter Greger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the binomial expansion of 1/√(1-x) can be found in series form using the formula (2n)!/(2^nn!)^2. This can be derived by looking at the general terms of the expansion and simplifying the numerator and denominator. This formula does not involve double factorials, making it easier to work with.
Greger
how do you find the binomial expansion of 1/sqrt(1-x) in series form?

i know what the term by term expansion is but I'm trying to find the series representation,

the closest i have found involved double factorials and I'm sure there's an easier representation,

i've been trying to use the binomial theorem but i get fractional factorials which just give ∞.

is there some formula that i haven't been able to find to apply to this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming first of all that you have the correct coefficients for the binomial expansion of 1/√(1+x) as below,
[tex]\underbrace{\frac{1}{2}}_{n=1}, \underbrace{\frac{1\cdot 3}{2\cdot 4}}_{n=2}, \underbrace{\frac{1\cdot 3\cdot 5}{2\cdot 4\cdot 6}}_{n=3}, \underbrace{\frac{1\cdot 3\cdot 5\cdot 7}{2\cdot 4\cdot 6\cdot 8}}_{n=4}, ...[/tex]there is a way to get a nice closed formula for the coefficients without double factorials :smile:

If you look at the denominator of the fourth term for example,
2·4·6·8 = 2(1)·2(2)·2(3)·2(4) = 24·4!
then the general form for the denominator is 2nn!Now for the numerator of the fourth term,
1·3·5·7 = (1·2·3·4·5·6·7·8)/(2·4·6·8) = 8!/(24·4!)
and so the general form for the numerator is (2n)!/(2nn!)

Combining them together gives you
[tex]\frac{(2n)!}{(2^nn!)^2}[/tex]

1. What is the expansion of 1/sqrt(1-x)?

The expansion of 1/sqrt(1-x) is an infinite series known as the Binomial series, which is given by the expression: 1 + x/2 + 3x^2/8 + 5x^3/16 + ...

2. How is the Binomial series derived?

The Binomial series is derived using the Binomial theorem, which states that (1+x)^n = 1 + nx + (n(n-1)x^2)/2! + (n(n-1)(n-2)x^3)/3! + ..., where n is any real number.

3. What is the convergence criteria for the expansion of 1/sqrt(1-x)?

The Binomial series for 1/sqrt(1-x) has a convergence criteria of -1 < x < 1. This means that the series will only converge for values of x within this range. If x is outside of this range, the series will diverge.

4. What is the significance of the expansion of 1/sqrt(1-x) in mathematics?

The expansion of 1/sqrt(1-x) is significant in mathematics because it is a fundamental series that is used in many mathematical and scientific calculations. It is also related to other important series, such as the Taylor series and the Maclaurin series.

5. How is the expansion of 1/sqrt(1-x) used in real-world applications?

The expansion of 1/sqrt(1-x) has many practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, it is used in the calculation of electric fields, gravitational fields, and in the analysis of circuit networks. It is also used in the study of wave propagation and in the analysis of population growth models.