Expert Tips for Solving Integrals: Simple Steps and Strategies

• Thread starter ISU20CpreE
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, in order to solve the given integral, the expert suggests setting a=3 and u=(x-3), and making substitutions back into the original integral to get rid of x and have the integral only in terms of u and du. The expert also mentions that there will be 2 integrals, and hints at using arcsin. Another approach suggested is making the substitution u=x-3 and then differentiating to get du=dx, which reduces the original integral to two parts that can be solved using the chain rule and the substitution sin w = x/a. The expert also notes that the solution is only valid for absolute value x less than or equal to a.
ISU20CpreE
I am stuck in this integral please could i get some help or sugestions.

[tex] \int \frac {x+5} {\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}} * dx [/tex]

If I set:

a= 3
u=(x-3)
[tex] \frac {du} {dx} = 1 [/tex]
du=dx

,and then I don't know what to do.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. Just keep going. Make substitutions back into the original integral to get rid of x and have the integral be only in terms of u and du. Hint: you'll end up with 2 integrals.

hotvette said:
You are on the right track. Just keep going. Make substitutions back into the original integral to get rid of x and have the integral be only in terms of u and du. Hint: you'll end up with 2 integrals.

ok i have [tex] \int \frac {x} {\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}} * dx + \int \frac {5} {\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}} * dx [/tex]

Is this correct, i mean is this legal in math. I only broke down the integral into two separte integrals. I am still working on it!

Last edited:
That won't help very much, I'm affraid.

Manipulating the denominator may help you. Factor out the 9, get it out of the square root to get:

[tex]\int {\frac{x}{{\sqrt {9 - \left( {x - 3} \right)^2 } }}dx} = \frac{1}{3}\int {\frac{x}{{\sqrt {1 - \left( {\frac{{x - 3}}{3}} \right)^2 } }}dx} [/tex]

That should smell arcsin-ish, but don't forget the x in your nominator :smile:

Ok, that works. Now use the substitution you already stated (i.e. u = x - 3) and that should get you integrals that are readily solved.

Last edited:

the function within the square root simplifies to [tex]-x^{2}+6x[/tex]
The derivative of this is [tex]-2x+6[/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{-2(x+5)+16~dx}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}} [/tex]

ring a bell?

I believe either approach will obtain the same result

Hopefully :biggrin:

GCT said:

the function within the square root simplifies to [tex]-x^{2}+6x[/tex]
The derivative of this is [tex]-2x+6[/tex]

[tex] \int \frac{-2(x+5)+16~dx}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}} [/tex]

ring a bell?

ok how did he get this: [tex] \int \frac{-2(x+5)+16~dx}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}} [/tex]

that confused me even more.

ISU20CpreE said:
ok how did he get this: [tex] \int \frac{-2(x+5)+16~dx}{\sqrt{9-(x-3)^2}} [/tex]

that confused me even more.

what No help??

I believe he used a little trick to get the upper part to look like the derivative of what is inside the radical. Consider the following example (nothing to do with this problem, but shows the idea):

x + 5 = x + 5 + 3 - 3 = (x + 8) - 3

hotvette said:
I believe he used a little trick to get the upper part to look like the derivative of what is inside the radical. Consider the following example (nothing to do with this problem, but shows the idea):

x + 5 = x + 5 + 3 - 3 = (x + 8) - 3

Is it going to help me out, I've been looking at the problem for hours but i really don't get it, when i take the derivative of u it the x of the upper part doesn't cancel so that's bothering me a bit. I need more explanaition please.

Here is my suggestion. Take what you originally did (i.e. make the substitution u = x-3). The net result is an integrand that you can break apart: Yes, what you did in your 2nd post is valid. Simple example:

[tex]\frac{5 + 2}{3} = \frac{5}{3} + \frac{2}{3}[/tex]

The 2nd integral should be readily solveable (Hint: TD mentioned something about arcsin). The first is actually much easier to solve (an additional substitution will make it easier to see).

GCT has a valid approach, but the one you were on originally is valid as well.

Last edited:
ISU20CpreE said:
Is it going to help me out, I've been looking at the problem for hours but i really don't get it, when i take the derivative of u it the x of the upper part doesn't cancel so that's bothering me a bit. I need more explanaition please.

My approach would be to make the substitution

u = x-3, which also means that x = u + 3

then differentiating
du = dx

Your original integral will now reduce to

[tex] \int \frac {u+8} {\sqrt{9-u^2}} du [/tex]

This integral has two parts and can be written as:

[tex] \int \frac {u} {\sqrt{9-u^2}} du + \int \frac {8} {\sqrt{9-u^2}} du [/tex]

The first part can be solved using the chain rule as you know, since the numerator term is the derivative of the term inside the square root.

The second part is the harder one. The solution is (so you can check your work). Edit: It is solved though the substitution sin w = x/a.

[tex] \int \frac {dx} {\sqrt{a^2 - x^2}} dx = arcsin(x/a)[/tex]

Note: Of course, it is only valid for absolute value x less than or equal to a. Or else you would have an imaginary.

Last edited:
thanks for all the help. I think i got it

=D great news ^^

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve a wide range of problems in mathematics, science, and engineering.

Why is it important to know how to solve integrals?

Integrals are used to solve a variety of problems in many fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. They are also crucial in understanding the concept of derivatives, which is essential in calculus and higher-level mathematics.

What are some common strategies for solving integrals?

Some common strategies for solving integrals include using substitution, integration by parts, and partial fraction decomposition. It is also helpful to recognize patterns and apply known integral formulas to simplify the problem.

What are some tips for simplifying integrals?

One tip for simplifying integrals is to break them down into smaller parts and then combine the results. Another tip is to use algebraic techniques to manipulate the integrand, such as factoring or trigonometric identities. It is also essential to practice and become familiar with common integral formulas.

How can I check if my solution to an integral is correct?

One way to check the correctness of an integral solution is to take the derivative of the answer and see if it matches the original integrand. Additionally, you can use online integral calculators or ask a peer or instructor to check your work.