What does 'dx' mean and how does it relate to calculus and physics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the introduction of calculus into studying Physics and the meaning of "dx" in an integral equation. The "dx" stands for an infinitesimal change in the variable x and the integral is the addition of these small quantities multiplied by a function over a given interval. The conversation also provides helpful links and resources for further understanding.
Dolton
Hey guys. I've started studying Physics at home, but only the theory side with a little mathematics. So i would like to try, if i can, to introduce a little calculus to my work. But the problem is i find calculus a mind boggle, i understand All the GCSE math that i did. Could someone explain to me what "dx" means in this equation? displacement perhaps? i don't know. and possibly explain the equation please?

b
[tex]\int[/tex]F(x) dx
a

Physics news on Phys.org

"dx" usually is a differential, an infinitesimal change in whatever x represents. The integral basically represents adding up heaps of these small quantities multiplied by the function F(x) over some interval [a,b].

Check out this link:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RiemannIntegral.html

It briefly explains how the riemann integral is defined.

In terms of actually carrying out the integration, the 'dx' just tells you what variable you need to integrate with respect to; it won't have any direct effect on the calculation itself.

Also, what you have written isn't an 'equation', since there is no equality involved.If you are just starting out with this, perhaps check out these notes:

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/IndefiniteIntegrals.aspx

They are one of the best sets of online notes i have ever come across.

Wow, thanks a lot guys, this is a really helpful community :)

I found the following text to be a great introduction to both calculus and basic classical mechanics: Integrated Physics & Calculus by Rex/Jackson. The interrelations between the two subjects are well motivated by examples and you get a good feel for both calculus and physics as each author has his own specialty.

Related to What does 'dx' mean and how does it relate to calculus and physics?

1. What does "dx" stand for in math?

"dx" stands for "infinitesimal change in x" and is used to represent very small changes in a mathematical equation or function.

2. How is "dx" used in calculus?

In calculus, "dx" is used to represent the change in the independent variable (usually x) in a function as it approaches a specific value. It is an important concept in understanding derivatives and integrals.

3. Can you give an example of how "dx" is used in a mathematical equation?

Sure, in the equation f(x) = 2x + 3, "dx" would represent the infinitesimal change in x. So, if we want to find the derivative of this function, we would write it as f'(x) = 2dx.

4. Is "dx" the only notation used for infinitesimal changes?

No, there are other notations such as "Δx" or "deltax" that are also used to represent infinitesimal changes. However, "dx" is the most commonly used notation in calculus.

5. Why is "dx" important to understand in math?

"dx" is important because it allows us to calculate the rate of change in a function, which is essential in many real-world applications such as physics, economics, and engineering. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the fundamental theorem of calculus.