Explaining weird trend of d- and f- block elements.

In summary: The shielding effect is when the outer electron is shielded from the nucleus by other electrons. Slater-screening is when the outer electron is screened from the nucleus by other electrons.
ash64449
Hello friends,

I noticed from Wikipedia the following information:
Atomic radii:
4th period(only d-block elements):
Sc:160 pm
Ti : 140 pm
V : 135 pm
Cr : 140 pm
Mn: 140 pm
Fe : 140 pm
Co : 135 pm
Ni : 135 pm
Cu :135 pm
Zn : 135 pm

Normally across the period atomic radii should decrease. But d-block elements do not follow this trend. It increases From V to Cr and them remains constant and decreases and remains constant again.

So they show horizontal similarities too.. Can some one explain me this strange trend?

More stranger trend is of f-block elements.. They don't change their radii at all if we go across the period!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
As far as I remember the experimental radii are half the distance of the atoms in a crystal lattice.
However, the metals crystalize in different lattices, which influences the radii.
Better take the calculated values from the table below.

DrDu said:
As far as I remember the experimental radii are half the distance of the atoms in a crystal lattice.
However, the metals crystalize in different lattices, which influences the radii.
Better take the calculated values from the table below.

Which table? can you explain this trend?

Not only this one,ionization enthalpy too follow the same way as atomic radii. But a little difference.

So i thought understanding atomic radii would help to understand everything.

DrDu said:
I meant the table with the theoretical atomic radii by Clementi in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_radii

Why?

I mean that is theoretical. Shouldn't we go for experimental results?

Yes. the theoretical models follow the general trend. But i think we should stick to experimental results..

Do you think no satisfactory explanations can be given to the trend observed experimentally?

The experimental values are derived from bond lengths of covalent substances. Hence you have to discuss the average bond lengths of d-block elements in mainly covalent compounds. This is much more complicated than discussing the shrinking of d- or f-orbitals.

DrDu said:
The experimental values are derived from bond lengths of covalent substances. Hence you have to discuss the average bond lengths of d-block elements in mainly covalent compounds. This is much more complicated than discussing the shrinking of d- or f-orbitals.

So, Can We say that d-block elements follow the same periodicity of that of s- and p- blocks?

I mean by experimental results obtained by deriving bond lengths, it is observed that some elements have same atomic radii.. i.e,they show horizontal similarities. s- and p- block don't show like that.

but theoretical models show no horizontal similarities.

Last edited:
My best guess is Slater-screening. Electrons can screen other electrons from the positively charged nucleus, but it depends on how the electrons occupy the orbitals (which itself seems random for d- and f-block elements). This way, depending on the screening of other electrons, the distance of the outer electrons from the nucleus can be very similar.

sveegaard said:
My best guess is Slater-screening. Electrons can screen other electrons from the positively charged nucleus, but it depends on how the electrons occupy the orbitals (which itself seems random for d- and f-block elements). This way, depending on the screening of other electrons, the distance of the outer electrons from the nucleus can be very similar.

How is Slater-screening different from Shielding Effect?

1. What are d- and f- block elements?

D- and f- block elements are two groups of elements in the periodic table that are known as transition metals. They are located in the center of the periodic table between the s- and p- block elements.

2. Why do d- and f- block elements have such unusual properties?

D- and f- block elements have unique properties because of their partially filled d- and f- orbitals. These orbitals allow them to form multiple oxidation states and exhibit a wide range of chemical and physical properties.

3. What is the difference between d- and f- block elements?

The main difference between d- and f- block elements is their electronic configuration. D-block elements have partially filled d-orbitals, while f-block elements have partially filled f-orbitals. This difference also affects their physical and chemical properties.

4. Why do d- and f- block elements show a weird trend in their properties?

The weird trend in d- and f- block elements is due to the complex nature of their electronic configuration. As you move across the periodic table, the atomic size and shielding effect change, resulting in variations in their properties.

5. How are d- and f- block elements used in everyday life?

D- and f- block elements have numerous practical applications in our daily lives. For example, transition metals such as iron, copper, and zinc are essential for manufacturing steel, electrical wires, and batteries. Rare earth elements, which are part of the f-block, are used in the production of electronic devices, magnets, and catalysts.