Exploring De Moivre's Formula for Complex Numbers

So in summary, using De Moivre's formula and rewriting in exponential form, we can find the real part of z=ii to be e^-π/2.
zenite
1. Find the real part of z=ii by using De Moivre's formula.

Homework Equations

z= r(cos[tex]\theta[/tex] + i sin[tex]\theta[/tex])
zn= rn(cos(n[tex]\theta[/tex]) + i sin(n[tex]\theta[/tex]))

I tried using n=i to solve and got the ans 1i, but somehow feel that its not that simple. And the resultant argument I got from this approach is i[tex]\theta[/tex] which doesn't make sense. Tried using natural log, but didn't work out too.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by rewriting in exponential form and then use:

(eix)n = einx

That should do the trick :wink:

z = ii = ei(lni)
so n=lni and the real part is cos(lni). is this correct?

I'm not sure where your ln(i) comes from but that part is correct since ln(i) = [tex]i\pi/2[/tex]. However it can be simplified further.

I would have just written:
[tex]i^{i} = (e^{i\pi/2})^{i} = e^{i i\pi/2} = e^{- \pi/2}[/tex] and that's your answer since this is a real number already. (Wolfram Alpha confirms it)

thanks alot. I couldn't get the part where lni = i(PI)/2, tried googling but couldn't find anything. but I could understand your working, you make it look so simple.

I used the formula, elny = y for my working, that's where the ln comes from. but yours is much more simplified.

zenite said:
I couldn't get the part where lni = i(PI)/2

Well, actually I just used Wolfram Alpha to find that, but if we combine our formulas, we have just proved it's true.

Related to Exploring De Moivre's Formula for Complex Numbers

1. What is the purpose of studying complex numbers?

The purpose of studying complex numbers is to extend the real number system and provide a way to solve previously unsolvable equations. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing.

2. What are the basic operations of complex numbers?

The basic operations of complex numbers are addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations follow the same rules as real numbers, with the added concept of combining real and imaginary components.

3. How do you represent a complex number?

A complex number is represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real component and bi is the imaginary component, with i being the imaginary unit (defined as the square root of -1).

4. What is the difference between a real and imaginary number?

A real number is any number that can be represented on a number line, including positive and negative numbers, fractions, and decimals. An imaginary number is any number that contains the imaginary unit i, and cannot be represented on a number line. It is often used to represent quantities that cannot be physically measured.

5. How do you graph complex numbers?

A complex number can be graphed on a 2-dimensional coordinate plane, with the real component representing the x-axis and the imaginary component representing the y-axis. The number a + bi can be plotted as the point (a,b) on the graph.