Exploring Distributed Element Models for Circuit Designers

In summary, "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill is a highly recommended book for circuits, although it may be slightly dated. It does not cover the topic of distributed circuits in detail. For further information on distributed element models, the References and Bibliography section of the Wikipedia article on distributed element models may provide helpful resources.
lostinxlation
I'm looking for a good distributed circuits book.. Does anyone have recommendation ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would definitely check out "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill, it's the best circuits book I've read. It's slightly dated (second edition), though still completely relevant. Keep in mind the third edition may be coming out as early as January.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521370957/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Here is a pretty good free online textbook.

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/

lostinxlation said:
I'm looking for a good distributed circuits book.. Does anyone have recommendation ?

What's a distributed circuit?

berkeman said:
What's a distributed circuit?

What I meant by that was distributed element model.

I looked into Horowitz's at amazon, but I'm not sure if it covers the topic. Does it ?

Last edited:
lostinxlation said:
What I meant by that was distributed element model.

I looked into Horowitz's at amazon, but I'm not sure if it covers the topic. Does it ?

You mean like for modelling transmission lines?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_element_model

And no, H&H's AoE book doesn't really cover this. There is a short section on transmission lines in the chapter on High-Frequency and High-Speed Techniques, but I don't see a distributed element approach (I only have the 1st Edition, but I doubt the 2nd Edition has much more on this).

How about the References and Bibliography at the end of the wikipedia article linked above? Would any of those books give you what you want?

Related to Exploring Distributed Element Models for Circuit Designers

1. What is a distributed circuit?

A distributed circuit is a type of electronic circuit where the components are physically separated and connected by transmission lines, such as wires or cables. This allows for the circuit to be spread out over a larger area, which can improve performance and reduce interference.

2. How is a distributed circuit different from a traditional circuit?

A traditional circuit typically consists of all the components being located on a single circuit board, while a distributed circuit has its components spread out over a larger area. Additionally, distributed circuits use transmission lines to connect the components, while traditional circuits typically use discrete wires.

3. What are the advantages of using a distributed circuit?

Distributed circuits offer several advantages, including reduced electromagnetic interference, improved signal quality, and increased power handling capabilities. They also allow for smaller and more compact designs, as well as easier troubleshooting and maintenance.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a distributed circuit?

Some potential disadvantages of using a distributed circuit include increased design complexity and cost, as well as the need for precise impedance matching between the components and transmission lines. There may also be limitations on the maximum frequency that can be used in a distributed circuit.

5. What are some common applications of distributed circuits?

Distributed circuits are commonly used in high-frequency and high-power applications, such as radio frequency (RF) systems, microwave systems, and power amplifiers. They are also used in telecommunications, satellite systems, and wireless communication networks.