Exploring Magnetic Induction: Horseshoe Magnets & Line Formation

In summary, the conversation discusses the formation of lines of induction between two horseshoe magnets that are placed side by side without contact. It is suggested to use a diagram or iron filings to visualize the magnetic fields created by the magnets. Websites and laboratories are also mentioned as potential resources for further exploration of this topic.
franz32
how are lines of induction formed due to 2 horseshoe magnets that are placed side by side but no contact? Are there websites that would show me about it?

Physics news on Phys.org
We need a diagram of some sort. How exactly are the magnets placed with respect to each other?

Sirus, the two horseshoe magnets are placed close to each other without contact such that (1) like poles are aside and (2) when unlike poles are aside...

do u mean lines of repulsion and attraction?

-- AI

TenaliRaman said:
do u mean lines of repulsion and attraction?

-- AI

hello.. yups.. about lines of induction... just to see how "fields" look like

franz32 said:
how are lines of induction formed due to 2 horseshoe magnets that are placed side by side but no contact? Are there websites that would show me about it?

Why don't you see yourself? Just place a sheet of paper above the magnets and sprinkle iron filing around the magnets onto the paper. :smile:

ehild

Ok... why didn't I think of it?

Hello.. I would suggest to try it somewhere... for me, I'll go to the laboratory and find it out. I think it will be fun because you're using iron fillings..

Related to Exploring Magnetic Induction: Horseshoe Magnets & Line Formation

1. What is magnetic induction?

Magnetic induction is the process by which a magnetic field is created in a material when it is placed near a magnet or when a current flows through it.

2. How do horseshoe magnets work?

Horseshoe magnets work by utilizing the properties of magnetic induction. The two poles of the magnet, north and south, create a magnetic field that attracts or repels other magnets or magnetic materials.

3. What is the significance of the line formation in horseshoe magnets?

The line formation in horseshoe magnets is a visual representation of the magnetic field lines that are created by the magnet. These lines show the direction and strength of the magnetic field, which can be useful in understanding the behavior of magnets.

4. How does the shape of a magnet affect its strength?

The shape of a magnet can affect its strength by changing the distribution of the magnetic field. In the case of horseshoe magnets, the shape concentrates the magnetic field at the poles, making it stronger than a bar magnet of the same size.

5. What are some practical applications of magnetic induction and horseshoe magnets?

Magnetic induction and horseshoe magnets have many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also used in everyday items like speakers, compasses, and refrigerator magnets.