Exploring Pulley System Equilibrium: Solving for y when x Changes

In summary, the conversation discusses a pulley system in which the mass on both sides is equivalent. The goal is to find the distance y as the mass x changes. The acceleration of the object is 0 and theta is solved for to find the final equation. The system can be used as a balance and the angle of the rope to the vertical can determine the weight of the central mass. It is not possible to find the mass based on just the change in y, as the absolute level of y is needed to calculate the angle and force. However, if the vertical position of the mass is known, the mass can be determined using a formula. The accuracy of the formula is yet to be confirmed.
person123
I was working on a pulley system as shown here:
pulley.png

The mass on the right and left side is equivalent, and I am solving for when the system is in static equilibrium. Theta is the angle between the rope on either side of one of the pulleys. H and y are both measured from the original position of mass M, not its current location (it was simply meant as a reference point). The mass of the rope and friction are ignored. I wanted to find how the distance y changes as the mass x changes.

I first found the acceleration of the object, which is of course 0:
force.png

acceleration.png

I then solved for theta, giving me:
theta.png

I then was able to find cosΘ:
costan.png

And I was then able to find the final equation by setting the first equation equal to 0:
equation final.png

Here is a link to the graph: https://www.desmos.com/calculator/wpttkfsvmb

I imagine that this system may be used as a balance, in which the sag of the rope tells you the mass of x as based on the equation. Would that be possible? Thanks in advance.

(As a side note, I feel dumb showing my work in the form of images, but I can't figure out how to use BB code editor—I might just be missing something obvious).

Physics news on Phys.org
person123 said:
I imagine that this system may be used as a balance, in which the sag of the rope tells you the mass of x as based on the equation. Would that be possible?
Yes it can be used as a balance. It's the angle of the rope to the vertical, not the sag, that tells us the weight of the central mass.

andrewkirk said:
Yes it can be used as a balance. It's the angle of the rope to the vertical, not the sag, that tells us the weight of the central mass.
Could you also use the equation to find the mass of the object based on the vertical descent, or the change in y? (It may have been inaccurate to call that a sag).

person123 said:
Could you also use the equation to find the mass of the object based on the vertical descent, or the change in y? (It may have been inaccurate to call that a sag).
No. We need the absolute level of y, not just its change, in order to calculate the angle. And we need the angle in order to calculate the force.

andrewkirk said:
No. We need the absolute level of y, not just its change, in order to calculate the angle. And we need the angle in order to calculate the force.
Yes—so if you were to know y, or the vertical position of the mass m, would you be able to determine the mass based on the formula I wrote? I should have wrote the value of y instead of the change in y.

person123 said:
Yes—so if you were to know y, or the vertical position of the mass m, would you be able to determine the mass based on the formula I wrote? I should have wrote the value of y instead of the change in y.
Yes we could determine the mass based on a formula of that sort. I have not checked the calculations to see whether the formula is exactly correct.

1. What is a pulley system equilibrium?

A pulley system equilibrium refers to the state in which the forces acting on a pulley system are balanced, resulting in no net acceleration or movement.

2. Why is it important to solve for y when x changes in a pulley system?

Solving for y when x changes allows us to determine the equilibrium point of the pulley system, which is essential for understanding the forces at play and ensuring the system is stable.

3. How do you calculate the equilibrium point in a pulley system?

The equilibrium point is calculated by setting the sum of the forces acting on the system equal to zero. This can be done by using the formula F1x + F2x + F3x + ... = 0, where Fx represents the x component of each force.

4. What factors can affect the equilibrium point in a pulley system?

The equilibrium point in a pulley system can be affected by the weight of the objects being lifted, the angle of the pulleys, and the tension in the ropes or cables.

5. How can we use the equilibrium point to optimize a pulley system?

By understanding the equilibrium point, we can adjust the placement and tension of the ropes or cables in a pulley system to achieve the desired balance and efficiency. This can help in maximizing the lifting capacity and minimizing the effort required to operate the system.