Exploring Quantum Mechanics for a Winning Science Fair Project?

In summary, the student is looking for a more difficult project to complete in order to compete in a science fair. They are also looking for help in coming up with a project.
ObsoleteBacon
First off, I didnt know where to put this so I just stuck in where I though it seemed to go best (i didnt really want to put it in the homework section).

Here's my problem:

My teacher is making us (my 8th grade class) do individual science fair projects and compete them at the regional state competition. I want to win. So in order to do that I wanted to do something that caught peoples attention, so I though "hmmm...how about quantum mechanics, or particle physics". So I started doing some research on some quantum mechanics science fair projects, and I saw the project where you perform the dual slit experiment with a laser pointer and such, and this would be OK, but I still want something a little...more difficult to do. And there is also one other problem, we have to form a hypothesis and such, and I want to do something that isn't very generic. Some ideas I had...

1) When I thought of the dual slit experiment it made me think about how they detect the photons in the experiment (how do they do this exactly?) and I though i could try observing how different mediums effects the wave pattern created when two slits are open.

2) Thats it. I know its sad that's all I can think of at the moment, but I am in 8th grade and don't have super high mathematical skill, can someone please give me some general ideas for me to think about? I would be very thankfull for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure how much we can help you. You are the only one who knows exactly how much you know and how difficult something would be for you. I see nothing wrong with the double slit experiment using a laser. Do you understand the reasons behind the way it works?

I understand how it works...but I am trying to think of some variables to use becuase we have to use the scientific process :/

So far all I have thought of is using different mediums between the laser and the slits, or maybe perform the experiement at different speeds

1. How do I choose a topic for my science fair project?

To choose a topic for your science fair project, start by thinking about your interests and what questions you have about the world around you. You can also browse through science websites or books for inspiration. Make sure to pick a topic that is feasible, interesting, and relevant to the scientific community.

2. What is the scientific method and how do I use it in my project?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used by scientists to answer questions and solve problems. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. You can use the scientific method in your project by following these steps and documenting each stage carefully.

3. How do I conduct a successful experiment for my science fair project?

To conduct a successful experiment, make sure to carefully plan and design your experiment, gather all necessary materials and equipment, and follow your experimental procedure precisely. It is also important to keep accurate records and repeat your experiment multiple times to ensure reliable results.

4. How do I create a display for my science fair project?

To create a display for your science fair project, start by organizing your project and results into sections such as introduction, hypothesis, materials and methods, results, and conclusion. Then, use visual aids such as graphs, charts, and images to present your data. Finally, make sure to clearly label and explain each section of your display.

5. How can I make my science fair project stand out?

To make your science fair project stand out, choose a unique and creative topic, conduct thorough research, and think outside the box when designing your experiment and display. You can also add interactive elements or demonstrations to engage the audience and make your project more memorable.