Exploring Tensor Concepts with MIT OCW Courses

In summary, the conversation revolved around the topic of understanding tensors in physics, specifically in mechanics, and the speaker's search for a suitable MIT OCW course on the subject. They also asked for textbook recommendations and inquired about when tensors are typically covered in physics. The expert summarizer explains that tensors are essentially a vector of vectors and are commonly used in fluid mechanics. They also mention how tensors can be used to find the amount of a vector pointing in a certain direction. The expert does not recommend a specific textbook due to the complexity of the subject in general relativity.
Hello,

I am working through the MIT OCW courses 8.01 and 8.012. At my university we already learned about tensors in the first mechanics course but I don't really understand them completely.

Therefore I am searching for some MIT OCW course that covers tensors.
I'd be glad at any help.

Apart from that I've got some more questions:

1) When are tensors ordinarily covered in physics?

2) Could anyone give me some textbook recommendations for tensors?

Physics news on Phys.org
When I was in school, tensors never really got covered as a dedicated subject. It just appeared from time to time, and we were more or less expected to just understand it. But it is typically covered in some detail in general relativity, which I never took. Most definitions of tensors revolve involve tensors in curved space, which is too complicated for someone who just wants to use tensors in mechanics. There are definitions which talk about how a tensor transforms under coordinate transformations. These definitions are mostly useless for your purposes. Since this is the majority of textbooks on tensors, I'm not going to recommend a textbook.

You know what a vector is right? A rank 2 tensor is simply a vector of vectors. A rank 3 tensor is a vector of vectors of vectors (or a vector of rank 2 tensors). Momentum is a vector. Now if you consider a fluid that carries momentum along with it, you can have a momentum flux. The fluid itself moves with some velocity, so you have a vector of vectors, or a rank 2 scalar. A vector in 3D has 3 components: vx, vy, vz. A rank 2 tensor in 3D also has three components, but each component is a vector, so there are 9 components total. It doesn't really matter if each fluid parcel carries only a little momentum and the fluid is moving fast, or each parcel carries a lot of momentum, and the fluid is slow; the momentum flux is the outer product of the fluid velocity and parcel momentum.

Often, you want to know the amount of a vector pointing in some direction. You would take the dot product of the vector and a surface normal (which looks like a vector but more properly should be called a covector), and you get a scalar (a rank 0 tensor). You can do the same for a rank 2 tensor, except that when you take the dot product of a rank 2 tensor with a covector you get a vector (a rank 1 tensor). You don't need to know all the stuff with contravariant and covariant vectors until you get into general relativity.

Likes 3102

What are tensors and why are they important?

Tensors are mathematical objects that can be used to represent and manipulate multilinear relationships between vectors and scalars. They are important because they provide a powerful framework for understanding and solving problems in physics, engineering, and other fields. Tensors are also essential for deep learning and machine learning algorithms.

How can I learn about tensors?

One way to learn about tensors is through MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW) courses. These courses are freely available online and cover a range of topics related to tensors, including linear algebra, multivariable calculus, and differential equations. They also provide hands-on exercises and projects to help you apply tensor concepts.

Do I need a strong background in math to understand tensors?

While a strong background in math is helpful, it is not necessarily required to understand tensors. Many MIT OCW courses on tensors provide introductory material and cover the necessary mathematical concepts in detail. Additionally, there are many online resources and tutorials available for learning about tensors at different levels of math proficiency.

What are some real-world applications of tensors?

Tensors have a wide range of real-world applications, including image and speech recognition, natural language processing, and computer vision. They are also used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics for data analysis, modeling, and solving complex problems.

Are there any prerequisites for taking MIT OCW courses on tensors?

The prerequisites for MIT OCW courses on tensors vary depending on the specific course. However, a strong foundation in math, particularly in linear algebra and multivariable calculus, is typically recommended. Some courses may also require knowledge of programming languages such as Python or MATLAB for completing assignments and projects.