Exploring the Mystery of the Electron Cloud

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the "electron cloud" in an atom and how it is viewed differently in different models. The "electron cloud" refers to the area in which there is a high probability of finding an electron, as described by the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics. It is also mentioned that this concept can be confusing for those who are not familiar with the quantum model of the atom.
_Mayday_
Simple question here, I know where the protons, neutrons etc. are, but what I can't seem to find anywhere is what I have labeled "X" in my poorly drawn diagram. Everywhere I look it calls it an "electron cloud" is that all it can be described as because we don't actually know exactly what is in there other electrons?

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/329/atomya0.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
CrawfordK said:
Simple question here, I know where the protons, neutrons etc. are, but what I can't seem to find anywhere is what I have labeled "X" in my poorly drawn diagram. Everywhere I look it calls it an "electron cloud" is that all it can be described as because we don't actually know exactly what is in there other electrons?

http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/329/atomya0.png

I don't know either, and I don't know why you call this "High Energy, Nuclear, Particle Physics" ;P

Maybe you have labeled "X" as a photon leaving the atom, i.e a deexcitation. These photons are called characteristic X-rays.

Last edited by a moderator:
I posted it here after reading the forum description.

"Physics of nuclei & elementary particles"

I'm talking about the "space" or "electron cloud" that is in between the electrons.

CrawfordK said:
I posted it here after reading the forum description.

"Physics of nuclei & elementary particles"

I'm talking about the "space" or "electron cloud" that is in between the electrons.

But howabout the forum for atomic physics?.. elementary particles are EVERYTHING, so should we talk about everything here? No only things that are dealing with theories and phenomenon about Nuclear and Particle physic. i.e SUBatomic physics. Maybe you are not a physics-student? Now you know this.

So what is your question? First I thought you was asking what you meant by 'X', and I said that I can't know what you draw in your diagrams :P

Or are you asking why the atom has a "electronic cloud" ?

"Everywhere I look it calls it an "electron cloud" is that all it can be described as because we don't actually know exactly what is in there other electrons?" - strange sentence...

What is in the electron cloud, minus the electrons.

CrawfordK said:
What is in the electron cloud, minus the electrons.

nothing.

(i.e vacuum and some virtual force mediating particles between the electrons and protons)

Thanks.

malawi_glenn said:
nothing.

(i.e vacuum and some virtual force mediating particles between the electrons and protons)
By your understanding = no heat in there then.

basePARTICLE said:
By your understanding = no heat in there then.

What does "heat" have anything to do with what is being asked in this thread?

Zz.

I think the OP was just confused about the term "electron cloud". You mixed up two ways of looking at an atom. In one way, you can see it as a nucleus with electrons encircling it, like Bohr drew. But that doesn't explain everything, so stuff got a lot more confusing and now we have an atom model where there are no electrons in the form you're used to. No particles. On quantum level, they just can't be seen in the way we see them. It is more wave-like, and there's a certain probability for it being on a specific spot (the uncertainty principle says you can never be sure where exactly). The "electron cloud" you talk of, is basically the area that holds a 90% chance of having the electron there.

mr. vodka said:
I think the OP was just confused about the term "electron cloud". You mixed up two ways of looking at an atom. In one way, you can see it as a nucleus with electrons encircling it, like Bohr drew. But that doesn't explain everything, so stuff got a lot more confusing and now we have an atom model where there are no electrons in the form you're used to. No particles. On quantum level, they just can't be seen in the way we see them. It is more wave-like, and there's a certain probability for it being on a specific spot (the uncertainty principle says you can never be sure where exactly). The "electron cloud" you talk of, is basically the area that holds a 90% chance of having the electron there.

Thank you very much.

Related to Exploring the Mystery of the Electron Cloud

1. What is the electron cloud?

The electron cloud is a region of space surrounding the nucleus of an atom where electrons are most likely to be found. It is a representation of the probability of finding an electron at a given location within an atom.

2. How was the electron cloud discovered?

The electron cloud was first theorized by Danish physicist Niels Bohr in 1913 as part of his atomic model. However, it was not until the 1920s that scientists, such as Erwin Schrödinger and Werner Heisenberg, developed mathematical equations to describe the electron's behavior and the probability of its location within an atom.

3. What factors affect the shape and size of the electron cloud?

The shape and size of the electron cloud are primarily influenced by the energy level of the electron, the number of electrons in the atom, and the presence of other atoms or molecules nearby. The shape can also be affected by the orientation of the atom in space and the presence of magnetic fields.

4. How does the electron cloud relate to an atom's chemical properties?

The electron cloud is directly related to an atom's chemical properties as it determines the atom's reactivity and the types of chemical bonds it can form with other atoms. The number and arrangement of electrons in an atom's electron cloud determine its chemical behavior and properties.

5. What are some current theories and research on the electron cloud?

Scientists are continually studying the electron cloud and developing new theories to better understand its behavior. Some current areas of research include studying the effects of high-energy particles on the electron cloud, investigating the role of the electron cloud in chemical reactions and reactions at the atomic level, and developing new technologies that utilize the properties of the electron cloud, such as quantum computing.