Exploring the Possibilities of Virtual Time and Black Holes

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of virtual time as presented in Stephen Hawking's book, The Universe in a Nutshell. Virtual time is described as being able to be increased or decreased in a three dimensional space. The conversation also touches on the idea that information inside black holes can be saved in a two dimensional space and later recombined to form a three dimensional object. The conversation concludes with the mention of a more simplified explanation of these concepts found online.
Sarahchichi
Today, I read a book which is written by Stephen Hawking. I have something don't understand.

We all know that REAL TIME must go from the past to the future,but how about VIRTUAL TIME? The book says that Virtual Time can be increased or decreased in a three dimensional space. I wonder why??

It syas that the information inside black holes can be saved up in a two dimensional space. Afterwards, these information can be recombined to form a three dimensional object. I wonder will these information combines to form stars, planet??

If you have any comments, do reply me.

Thanks,
Sarah :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
You're obviously referring to imaginary time in Hawking's The Universe in a Nutshell, page 60-65. Rather complex stuff. See e.g. this: http://www.iiap.res.in/answers/gphysics.html#five
Probably above your head (for me too :confused: ).
I've seen a more down to Earth explanation here:
http://everythingforever.com/einstein.htm
Still quite speculative...

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello Sarah,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the concept of virtual time and black holes. It is indeed a complex and fascinating topic to explore.

To answer your question about virtual time, it is important to understand that it is a theoretical concept used in physics to describe the behavior of particles at a very small scale, such as in quantum mechanics. In this context, virtual time is not the same as real time that we experience in our daily lives. It is a mathematical concept that helps us understand the behavior of particles in a three-dimensional space.

As for the idea of information inside black holes being saved in a two-dimensional space, this is a theory proposed by Stephen Hawking called the "holographic principle". It suggests that all the information about an object that falls into a black hole is stored on the surface of the black hole in two dimensions. This information can then be recombined to form a three-dimensional object, but it is still just a theory and has not been proven.

As for whether this information can form stars or planets, it is not yet known. The information stored in a black hole is in the form of quantum states, which are very different from the matter that makes up stars and planets. It is still an area of ongoing research and we may learn more about it in the future.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Happy reading and keep exploring the wonders of the universe!

Related to Exploring the Possibilities of Virtual Time and Black Holes

1. What is virtual time and how is it related to black holes?

Virtual time is a concept in theoretical physics that refers to the idea that time can be treated as a fourth dimension, similar to the three dimensions of space. This concept is often used in discussions about black holes, as the intense gravitational pull of a black hole can cause significant distortions in both space and time. Virtual time is used to help explain the behavior of matter and energy near black holes.

2. Can virtual time help us understand the mysteries of black holes?

Yes, virtual time is a valuable tool for scientists studying black holes. By using virtual time, we can better understand how matter and energy behave in the extreme conditions near a black hole, such as the event horizon or the singularity. It also allows us to make predictions about the behavior of black holes and test them through observations and experiments.

3. How can we explore the possibilities of virtual time and black holes?

There are several ways in which scientists can explore the possibilities of virtual time and black holes. One approach is through mathematical models and simulations, which allow us to make predictions and test theories about the behavior of black holes. Another approach is through observational studies, such as using telescopes and other instruments to gather data on black holes and their surrounding environments.

4. Are there any practical applications of studying virtual time and black holes?

While the study of virtual time and black holes is primarily a theoretical pursuit, there are potential practical applications that could arise from a better understanding of these concepts. For example, the study of virtual time could potentially lead to advances in space travel and communication technology, as well as a deeper understanding of the universe and its origins.

5. What are some current research efforts focused on virtual time and black holes?

There are many ongoing research efforts focused on virtual time and black holes, as these are complex and constantly evolving areas of study. Some current research topics include the behavior of matter and energy near the event horizon, the effects of black holes on the fabric of space and time, and the role of black holes in the evolution of the universe. Scientists are also studying the potential connections between black holes and other phenomena, such as dark matter and gravitational waves.