Exponential Integral Homework: Integrating e^(-y)/y

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration of e^(-y)/y and the use of exponential integral. There is confusion about whether it has an integral or not, and the attempt at a solution involves using integration by parts and substitution. However, the integral still does not have an elementary solution.
brandy

Homework Statement

i have to integrate e^(-y) / y
and i found out that you have to use this exponential integral and someone else said it doesn't have an integral. either way I am thoroughly confused

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no clue what so ever. The original question had it in dy/dx=y*e^(x+y) but that above question is all i need help with.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi brandy! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

If you keep integrating by parts, you get a power series times e-y

[tex]\int\frac{e^{-y}}{y}dy = \int-\frac{e^{-y}}{-y}dy[/tex]

Let x = -y, then dx = -dy.

[tex]\int-\frac{e^{-y}}{-y}dy = \int\frac{e^x}{x}dx[/tex]

You can rewrite it as the same integral you had in the other thread, which still doesn't have an elementary integral.

What is an exponential integral?

An exponential integral is a type of integral that involves the function e^(-y)/y. It is commonly used in mathematical and scientific calculations, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering.

Why is it important to integrate e^(-y)/y?

Integrating e^(-y)/y allows us to solve a wide range of problems in various fields of science and engineering. It is often used to calculate probabilities, rates of decay, and other important values in physics, chemistry, and biology.

What are some common applications of exponential integrals?

Exponential integrals have many applications in science and engineering. They are used to model radioactive decay, electrical circuits, and heat transfer, among other things. They are also used in statistics and probability to calculate the area under a curve.

What are the techniques for integrating e^(-y)/y?

There are several techniques for integrating e^(-y)/y, including substitution, integration by parts, and using special functions such as the error function. The most appropriate technique will depend on the specific problem at hand.

Are there any real-world examples of exponential integrals?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of exponential integrals. For instance, radioactive decay follows an exponential decay curve, which can be modeled using an exponential integral. Another example is the charging and discharging of a capacitor in an electrical circuit, which can be described using an exponential integral.