Is BIBO applicable for non-linear functions?

In summary, it is determined that the exponential function e to the power x[t] is stable according to the BIBO criterion, as long as the input x[t] is bounded. This holds true for both positive and negative x[t]. The same BIBO condition applies for both discrete and continuous systems. It is also noted that the BIBO criterion can be applied to non-linear functions. However, there may be discrepancies in different sources, as some may inaccurately state the instability of e to the power -x[n].
shawrix
Is exponential function e to the power x[t] stable? My book uses BIBO and says its stable but for -x[t] it says its not stable. Is my book wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it does seem that exp(+-x(t)) is bounded whenever x(t) is bounded.

what about x[n]?

There's no difference between the two.

If $$|x[t]| \leq M$$ then $$0<e^{-x[t]}< e^M$$ thus $$|e^{-x[t]}|<e^M< \infty$$

So you still have BIBO criterion satisified.

Likes 1 person
I have two books as reference and they both say e to the power -x[n] is unstable. They take x[n] and y[n] in terms of impulse and impulse response and prove that for n=0 we have output e^-1 and for n/=0 it is 1. Then it uses the bibo stability condition for causal and stable system and prove that the system never converges and hence it is unstable.

Last edited:
Yes :tongue: i finally proved it myself, as t-> infinite the output will also become bounded ie 1. Both books are wrong... :yuck:

Last edited:
I am not sure I understand. BIBO criterion says that is you have bounded input then your output will also be bounded, as you've seen what I wrote, from bounded input also the output of e^x(t) is bounded.

BTW in this case it doesn't matter if your system is discrete or in the continuum, either way the same BIBO condition is satisified. The difference is that the domain of the input in one is the natural numbers and on the other is real numbers.

Wait, Can we apply BIBO for non-linear functions like this one?

Ps i have edited my prev post, i mentioned incorrectly what i had found.

Last edited:

1. What is an exponential signal stable?

An exponential signal stable is a type of signal that follows an exponential growth or decay pattern over time. This means that the magnitude of the signal increases or decreases exponentially at a constant rate.

2. How is an exponential signal stable different from other types of signals?

An exponential signal stable is different from other types of signals, such as sinusoidal or linear signals, because it follows a specific mathematical function (exponential) rather than a periodic or linear pattern.

3. What are some real-life examples of exponential signal stable?

Some real-life examples of exponential signal stable include radioactive decay, population growth, and the charging/discharging of a capacitor in an electrical circuit.

4. How can I identify an exponential signal stable?

An exponential signal stable can be identified by its shape on a graph, which is a curved line that either rises or falls at a constant rate. It can also be identified by its mathematical function, which is expressed as y = ae^bx, where a is the initial value and b is the growth or decay rate.

5. Why is it important to understand exponential signal stable?

Understanding exponential signal stable is important in many fields of science and engineering, as it can help predict and analyze various natural phenomena and technological processes. It also plays a crucial role in mathematical modeling and data analysis.