How to Calculate Extension of a Rod with Varying Young's Modulus?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the Young's modulus in a rod with varying elasticity. The participants suggest various methods such as calculating the strain and displacement at different points and integrating to find the overall extension, as well as finding the distance between successive cross sections. However, the person seeking help is still confused and in a hurry due to upcoming exams. The experts stress the importance of putting in effort and not blindly plugging in numbers.
praveenpandiyan

Homework Statement

see attachement
wp_ss_20150116_0001.png

Homework Equations

dl= PL/AE

The Attempt at a Solution

as you see here my youngs modulus E varies linearly. i doubt that adding up E1 &E2 wld give solution.. any help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the (approximate) Young's modulus in the first centimeter? How much will it get stretched?
What is the (approximate) Young's modulus in the last centimeter? How much will it get stretched?
Instead of calculating it centimeter by centimeter, how can you get an "exact" solution?

What is the tensile stress in the rod? Do you know the relationship between strain and displacement u?

mfb said:
Instead of calculating it centimeter by centimeter, how can you get an "exact" solution?
centimeter by centimeter?. well threre must be some other way, like its going to be triangular profile with one end E1 and other end E2.. is that possible to find equivalent E acting on rod ..

Chestermiller said:
What is the tensile stress in the rod? Do you know the relationship between strain and displacement u?
yes sir .tensile stress =P/A. and strain = dL/L. .by hookes law E=stress/strain giives dL= PL/AE

praveenpandiyan said:
centimeter by centimeter?. well threre must be some other way, like its going to be triangular profile with one end E1 and other end E2.. is that possible to find equivalent E acting on rod ..
The centimeter by centimeter calculation is not correct, but if you answer my questions it should give you an idea how the correct approach looks like.
It is not the first question I am helping at, I suggest that for a good reason.

praveenpandiyan said:
yes sir .tensile stress =P/A. and strain = dL/L. .by hookes law E=stress/strain giives dL= PL/AE
Your equation for the strain is valid only if it is uniform from one end of the rod to the other. In this problem, because E varies with position along the rod, the strain is not uniform from one end to the other. So you need to figure out how to handle a problem in which the strain is varying with position along the rod.

Let x represent axial position measured along the rod before the rod is placed under load. Let the end x = 0 be fixed, and let the end x = L be where the load P is applied. We are going to focus on one cross section of the rod at location x before the rod is placed under load. After the rod is placed under load, this same cross section has moved to a new axial location at x + u(x), where u(x) is the distance that the cross section originally at x has moved. We call u(x) the displacement of the cross section. Of course, since the end at x = 0 is fixed, u(0) = 0.

Now let's look at what happens to two closely neighboring adjacent cross sections of the rod that were initially located at x and at x + Δx. What was the original distance between these two cross sections? What is the distance between these same two cross sections after the load has been applied? What is the increase in distance between the two cross sections? What is the increase in distance divided by the original distance? What is the limit of this as Δx approaches zero?

Chet

well then the material vary at every point (as u said).. so i need to find extension at given small dx. and integrate from 0 to L . is that right

praveenpandiyan said:
well then the material vary at every point (as u said).. so i need to find extension at given small dx. and integrate from 0 to L . is that right
Yes. Just answer the questions I asked, and I'll get you to the answer.

Chet

only problem I am facing is its E value .. at dx E= E1-((E2-E2)/L)*x .im bit confused.

praveenpandiyan said:
only problem I am facing is its E value .. at dx E= E1-((E2-E2)/L)*x .im bit confused.
Like I said, just answer the questions I asked, and I'll get you to the answer.

Chet

let original length be L ... but i have no idea how to find length btw consecutive section after load is applied.

mfb said:
It is not the first question I am helping at, I suggest that for a good reason.
i didnot mean that way. i value you all. but i was in a hurry,, needed approach or formula that i miss.exams coming up.

praveenpandiyan said:
i didnot mean that way. i value you all. but i was in a hurry,, needed approach or formula that i miss.exams coming up.
Several people have laid out an approach, but you need to come up with a way to use what they have said. We are not going to give you a formula that you can blindly plug numbers into.

praveenpandiyan said:
let original length be L ... but i have no idea how to find length btw consecutive section after load is applied.

Distance between successive cross sections after load is applied =## [x + Δx + u(x+Δx)]-[x + u(x)] = Δx + u(x+Δx) - u(x)##

This is my last hint until I see some effort on your part.

Chet

yea
Mark44 said:
Several people have laid out an approach, but you need to come up with a way to use what they have said. We are not going to give you a formula that you can blindly plug numbers into.
h .yeah ,.. I am seeing it ,anyway thanks

praveenpandiyan said:
yea

h .yeah ,.. I am seeing it ,anyway thanks
Not so fast. So, please show us your solution. It's the least you can do, given that we spent so much of our (valuable) time trying to help you.

Chet

1. How does the extension of a rod work?

The extension of a rod occurs when a force is applied to one end of the rod, causing it to stretch or lengthen. This is due to the elastic properties of the material the rod is made of, which allows it to deform and return to its original shape when the force is removed.

2. What factors affect the extension of a rod?

The extension of a rod is affected by several factors, including the material it is made of, the amount of force applied, and the length and thickness of the rod. The type of force applied (tension, compression, bending) also plays a role in the extension of the rod.

3. Can the extension of a rod be calculated?

Yes, the extension of a rod can be calculated using Hooke's Law, which states that the amount of extension is directly proportional to the applied force and inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area of the rod. This can be represented by the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the spring constant, and x is the extension.

4. How is the extension of a rod different from its elongation?

The extension of a rod refers to the change in its length due to an applied force, while elongation refers to the total length of the rod compared to its original length. Extension takes into account only the change in length, while elongation includes the original length as well.

5. What are some real-world applications of rod extension?

Rod extension is a common phenomenon in structures and machines, where rods are used to support and transfer forces. This can be seen in bridges, buildings, and even everyday objects like bicycles and doors. Understanding rod extension is important in designing and engineering these structures to ensure they can withstand the forces they are subjected to.