Extreme Sports: Waterboarding and Physics (Work/Tension)

In summary, the conversation was about a waterboarder being pulled by a motor boat at a constant speed of 18m/s and at an angle of 25 degrees. The question asked for the amount of work done by the tow rope and the resistive force of water on the boarder in 10.0 seconds. Using the equation W=Fd, the work done by the tow rope was calculated to be 18kJ and the work done by the resistive force of water was calculated to be 16.3kJ.
minimax
Hi, here's an interesting question on EXTREME SPORTS! (tried to make the title interesting)
hoping someone will verify my work/procedure in solving the que. or put me in the right direction :D Thank you!

Homework Statement

A waterboarder is at an angle of 25 degrees with respect to the straight central path of a top speed motor boat. She's being pulled at a constant speed of 18m/s. If the tension of her tow rope is 100N
i) How much work does the tope do on the boarder in 10.0s
ii) How much work does the resistive force of the water have on her in the same amount of time

Homework Equations

W=Fd=F(cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex])d
v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

i) v=d/t therefore d=vt
d=(10.0s)(18m/s)=180m travelled
W=Fd
=(100N)(180m)
=18kJ

ii) d=180m/s
W=Fd=F(cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex])d
W=(100N)(cos25)(180m)
=16.3kJ

Physics news on Phys.org
I've added a diagram, hope this helps

Attachments

• physics.bmp
    206.8 KB · Views: 543

Hi there! I am happy to help verify your work and provide feedback on your procedure. Your approach seems to be on the right track, but there are a few things that can be improved upon in your solution.

Firstly, in part i) of your solution, you correctly calculated the distance travelled by the waterboarder in 10.0 seconds. However, when calculating the work done by the tow rope, you used the formula W=Fd, but you forgot to include the angle between the force and displacement, theta (θ). This angle is important because the tension force is not acting in the same direction as the displacement of the waterboarder. The correct formula to use would be W=Fdcosθ. In this case, the angle between the force and displacement is 25 degrees, so the calculation should be:

W=(100N)(180m)cos25
= 16.3 kJ

In part ii) of your solution, you used the correct formula W=Fdcosθ to calculate the work done by the resistive force of the water. However, you used the wrong distance in your calculation. The distance travelled by the waterboarder in 10.0 seconds is 180m, not 180m/s. So the correct calculation would be:

W=(100N)(180m)cos25
= 16.3 kJ

Overall, your approach and equations were correct, but be sure to double check your calculations and include all necessary variables in the formulas. Keep up the good work!

Related to Extreme Sports: Waterboarding and Physics (Work/Tension)

1. What is waterboarding and how does it relate to extreme sports?

Waterboarding is a controversial interrogation technique that involves pouring water over a cloth covering the face of the person being interrogated, causing a feeling of drowning. In extreme sports, waterboarding is used as a form of thrill-seeking, where individuals voluntarily subject themselves to the sensation of drowning for adrenaline and excitement.

2. How does physics play a role in waterboarding?

Physics is a fundamental aspect of waterboarding as it involves the laws of motion and fluid mechanics. The force of gravity and the resistance of the water create tension on the cloth covering the face, causing a feeling of suffocation. Additionally, the movement of the water and the placement of the cloth can affect the intensity of the experience.

3. Is waterboarding safe as an extreme sport?

Waterboarding, as an extreme sport, can be dangerous and should only be attempted with proper safety precautions and supervision. The sensation of drowning can cause panic and disorientation, leading to potential injuries. It is important to understand and properly prepare for the risks involved before participating in waterboarding as an extreme sport.

4. Can waterboarding have any long-term effects on the body?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that waterboarding as an extreme sport has any long-term effects on the body. However, individuals with pre-existing health conditions or respiratory issues should consult with a medical professional before participating in waterboarding.

5. What are the ethical concerns surrounding waterboarding as an extreme sport?

Waterboarding as an extreme sport is a controversial activity, with some arguing that it promotes and glorifies torture. There are also concerns about the potential psychological effects on individuals who voluntarily subject themselves to the sensation of drowning. It is important to consider these ethical concerns and engage in open and respectful discussions about the practice of waterboarding as an extreme sport.