1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

F=ma pulleys and stuff

1. Oct 21, 2004 #1
    I have to design a lab to support that F=ma. we are using masses and pulleys but i'm not sure how to set this experiment up. anyone got any ideas? :confused:
    thanks in advance 4 any help u can give me
    sarah

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2004 #2
    There arte many posibel experiments with masses and pullys. But a lot of thm are about the efects of friction. A very simpel ekperiment might be just conecting 2 hanging masses over a pully and masure how much time passes until the havyer on reaches the ground. This should ofcourse be tasted with many diffrent masses on both sides.

By the way wathever experimet you set up it's usualy a good idea to use gravity as a form of acceleration. It is constant and you can easily control its size with a slide (the lass friction the beather).

4. Oct 22, 2004 #3
    Just take a general physics book full of exercises like Tipler. The most simple is the known as Atwood's machine: a pully with two masses.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?