Factoring dilutions into calculations

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the concentration of a plasmid DNA sample after it was diluted and measured with a spectrophotometer. The dilution factor is 20, and the formula for calculating DNA concentration is (Net A260)*(dilution factor)*(DNA constance). The net A260 should be sample - blank, and the DNA constance is 50ug/ml. The conversation ends with the question being resolved and the participant thanking the other for their help.
sven222
Hey guys, gals (Monique :wink: )

Quick question. I recently completed a labortatory session in my Genetics class regarding the isolation and analysis of plasmid DNA, and a section of the report has me stumped.

Before the plasmid DNA was put under the spectrophotometer, it was diluted in 285µl of distilled water (15µl of DNA, all up 300µl). Absorbance was measured, and found to be around 0.2 (Don't have the exact figures on me). Now assuming A=1 is the equivelant of 50µg/ml, we need to calculate the concentration of the plasmid DNA sample, taking into consideration the dilution.

I realize this is simple maths, but for some reason when it comes to facotring dilutions into my calculations, my brain laughs at me and tells me where to go. So I need your help guys :)

Thanks in advance.

Biology news on Phys.org
Your dilution factor is 20 because 15 in 300 give you a 5*10-2 dilution which is 1/20.

The formula to calculate DNA concentration is usually as follow

(Net A260)*(dilution factor)*(DNA constance)

Net A260=(Blank A260)-(sample A260)

Thanks for the reply iansmith, greatly appreciated.

Firstly, wouldn't the net A260 be sample - blank? Rather than blank - sample?

And when you say DNA constance, I assume you're referring to the 50ug/ml I mentioned above.

Besides that, I didn't realize it was that simple. It must be the lack of sleep, or the week old food I've been eating.

Thanks a heap :smile:

Originally posted by sven222
Firstly, wouldn't the net A260 be sample - blank? Rather than blank - sample?

my mistake it is sample-blank

Originally posted by sven222
And when you say DNA constance, I assume you're referring to the 50ug/ml I mentioned above.

yes it is

What is factoring dilutions into calculations?

Factoring dilutions into calculations refers to adjusting the concentration of a solution to account for the dilution effect caused by adding a solvent or other substance. This is important in scientific experiments and calculations to accurately determine the concentration of a substance.

Why is factoring dilutions into calculations important in scientific experiments?

Factoring dilutions into calculations is important in scientific experiments because it allows for the accurate determination of the concentration of a substance. Dilution can affect the outcomes of experiments and without factoring it into calculations, the results may be inaccurate or misleading.

How do you factor dilutions into calculations?

To factor dilutions into calculations, you need to know the original concentration of the solution, the volume of the original solution, and the volume of the diluted solution. The formula for factoring dilutions into calculations is C1V1 = C2V2, where C1 and V1 are the concentration and volume of the original solution, and C2 and V2 are the concentration and volume of the diluted solution.

What are some common mistakes when factoring dilutions into calculations?

Some common mistakes when factoring dilutions into calculations include using the wrong formula, using incorrect values for concentration or volume, and forgetting to account for dilution altogether. It is important to double check all values and calculations to ensure accuracy.

How can factoring dilutions into calculations affect the interpretation of results?

Factoring dilutions into calculations can greatly affect the interpretation of results. If dilution is not properly accounted for, the calculated concentration of a substance may be incorrect and lead to false conclusions. It is important to accurately factor dilutions into calculations to ensure the validity of experimental results.