Factoring known drag into finding height of projectile

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining if fictional instances of physics are possible by solving equations for a person thrown from a jet traveling vertically. The initial equations without air resistance are completed, resulting in the person being 2,323 meters high after 6.5 seconds. The next step is to add drag, with the calculations showing the person experiencing 3,763 Newtons of drag. The conversation then mentions the involvement of differential equations and fluid mechanics in the situation.
Chark711
Alright, I am trying to work out some equations on a project to determine if fictional instances of physics are possible or not. In my case, I am seeing how a person travels if they are thrown from a jet that is traveling vertically (don't ask). I have completed the equations to solve how far the person would travel without air resistance, and they look like this:

Height initial=450 meters
Velocity initial=320 m/s
Time in air=6.5 seconds

Hf=Hi + Vi*T - .5gT^2
Hf=450 meters + 320 m/s * 6.5 s - (4.9m/s^2)6.5s^2
long story short, I get that the person is about 2,323 meters high after 6.5 seconds.

Now, how do I add drag? I did Force of drag equations and came to the concussion that the man experiences 3,763 Newtons of drag. Is this reasonable? And does it factor into previous equations, or do I get a whole new equation I need to deal with now?

Physics news on Phys.org
The situation is described by a differential equation. Have you studied math at that level? It also involves fluid mechanics and drag coefficients. The force impeding the upward motion is dependent on the square of velocity as well as gravity.

1. How does drag affect the height of a projectile?

Drag, also known as air resistance, can significantly affect the height of a projectile. As a projectile moves through the air, it experiences drag force in the opposite direction of its motion. This force slows down the projectile and reduces its vertical velocity, ultimately leading to a lower height.

2. How do you factor known drag into finding the height of a projectile?

To factor known drag into finding the height of a projectile, you need to use the appropriate equations for projectile motion with air resistance. This involves taking into account the drag force, which is dependent on the projectile's velocity, cross-sectional area, and air density. By incorporating this force into the equations, you can accurately calculate the height of the projectile.

3. How do you determine the drag coefficient of a projectile?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the amount of drag force experienced by a projectile. It varies depending on the shape and size of the projectile, as well as the properties of the surrounding air. To determine the drag coefficient, experiments and simulations can be conducted to measure the drag force at different velocities and angles of the projectile.

4. Can you ignore drag when calculating the height of a projectile?

No, it is not recommended to ignore drag when calculating the height of a projectile. In most real-world scenarios, drag is present and can significantly affect the trajectory and height of a projectile. Ignoring drag can lead to inaccurate results and predictions, especially for high-speed and long-range projectiles.

5. How does air density affect the height of a projectile?

Air density is a crucial factor in determining the amount of drag force experienced by a projectile. It is affected by various factors such as altitude, temperature, and humidity. Higher air density means more molecules in the air, resulting in a higher drag force and a lower height for the projectile. Therefore, air density should be carefully considered when factoring in drag for calculating the height of a projectile.