Fano Resonance Theory: Notes & Books

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of Fano resonances and the speaker's interest in studying the theory behind it. They mention difficulties in understanding a paper on the subject and inquire about any other resources that may provide a more precise theoretical description. They also mention a compendium they have found and share their interest in the topic.
forever_physicist
Good evening.
I wanted to study the theory about Fano resonances. I tried to read the paper but it doesn't seem very pedagogical to me and I coudn't understand all the details. Are there any notes or any good book where I can find a more precise theoretical description?
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
forever_physicist said:
Good evening.
I wanted to study the theory about Fano resonances. I tried to read
the paper but it doesn't seem very pedagogical to me and I coudn't understand all the details. Are there any notes or any good book where I can find a more precise theoretical description?
Thank you
" ... the paper ... " is not a helpful citation

phinds said:
Fano resonances show up in almost every branch of physics...also EE and probably ME. So it would be helpful to know what motivates this interest.

Likes berkeman
phinds said:

Yes sorry.. the paper I'm talking about is the original one from Fano,
U. Fano, "Effects of Configuration Interaction on Intensities and Phase Shifts", PR 124, 6 (1961).

hutchphd said:
Fano resonances show up in almost every branch of physics...also EE and probably ME. So it would be helpful to know what motivates this interest.
For now I only want to study the theory to understand all the physics behind, is for this that I wrote this post!

1. What is Fano resonance theory?

Fano resonance theory is a theoretical framework used to describe the interaction between a discrete state and a continuum of states in a quantum system. It was first introduced by Ugo Fano in the 1960s and has since been applied to various fields such as atomic and molecular physics, condensed matter physics, and nanoscience.

2. How does Fano resonance occur?

Fano resonance occurs when a discrete state, which has a well-defined energy and lifetime, is coupled to a continuum of states, which has a continuous energy spectrum and infinite lifetime. This coupling leads to an interference effect, resulting in a characteristic asymmetric line shape in the energy spectrum.

3. What are the applications of Fano resonance theory?

Fano resonance theory has many applications in different fields of science and technology. It has been used to study the electronic and optical properties of materials, as well as to design and control the behavior of nanostructures and metamaterials. It has also been applied in quantum information processing and sensing techniques.

4. What are some key concepts in Fano resonance theory?

Some key concepts in Fano resonance theory include the Fano factor, which describes the degree of asymmetry in the line shape, and the Fano parameter, which quantifies the strength of the coupling between the discrete and continuum states. Other important concepts include the resonance width, resonance energy, and the phase shift caused by the interference effect.

5. Are there any limitations to Fano resonance theory?

Like any other theoretical framework, Fano resonance theory has its limitations. It is based on certain assumptions and approximations, such as the single-channel approximation and the absence of external perturbations. It may also fail to accurately describe complex systems with multiple interacting states. However, it remains a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of many physical systems.