Fast fourier transform on exponential decay function

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of FFT on a sampled data set of an exponential decay function. It is noted that the FFT assumes the data repeats itself from negative infinity to positive infinity and that discontinuities in the data can create oscillating side lobes in the frequency spectrum. The importance of applying a windowing function to minimize the effect of these discontinuities is also mentioned.
xfshi2000
Hi all:
I have one confused question. one continuous exponential decay function f=exp(-lamda*t) start from t=0 to infinity. I sample 1024 data points from the decay function. time variable (t) ranges from 0 to 1 second. the tail data of this exponential function is zero. I apply discret FFT on this sampled data. Am I supposed to get frequency spectrum with ring side lobe? When we apply FFT on this sampled data, does FFT assume my sampled data repeat themselves from negative infinity to positive infinity? If so, in this repeated data, a discontinuity point in exponential function exists. We are supposed to see oscillating side lobe because abrupt amplitude change between the tail data and the first point of my sampled data. Am My understanding correct? thanks in advance.

xf

Physics news on Phys.org
An FFT will assume nothing. Your data is aperiodic and so taking the FFT is a fruitless endeavor.

FFT is applicable to periodic functions only. In case like yours the FFT result will be a transform of
[itex]e^{-\lambda\{t\}}[/itex] rather than of [itex]e^{-\lambda t}[/itex]
[itex]\{t\}[/itex] denotes a fractional part of [itex]t[/itex]

xfshi2000 said:
When we apply FFT on this sampled data, does FFT assume my sampled data repeat themselves from negative infinity to positive infinity?

Yes, if you do an FFT numerically on a finite sample of data, then you are assuming the complete sample is one "cycle" of a repeating periodic waveform.

If so, in this repeated data, a discontinuity point in exponential function exists. We are supposed to see oscillating side lobe because abrupt amplitude change between the tail data and the first point of my sampled data. Am My understanding correct? thanks in advance.

Yes, that is correct.

If you wanted to do this in a practical situation, you would apply a windowing function to the data before you take the FFT, to miminise the effect of the discontinuity.

It is wrong to say this is "a fruitless endeavour". Engineers who make practical measurements the dynamic response of structures do ths sort of thing all the time. It is only "fruitless" if you don't understand how to interpret the results.

Thank you all for the reply.

When we apply some window function on discrete sampled data, we can make the sampled tail data signal to be zero. Under the point of view of discrete FFT algorithm, This window-filtered sampled data will repeat themselves from minus infinity to positive infinity. Let's imagine we place a series of copy of window-filtered sampled data in the time axis. It doesn't form one "cycle" of a repeating periodic waveform. Because in minus infinity, signal magnitude is equal to f(0) (is equal to a constant) and f(t=+infinity)=f(t=1 second) =0 at plus infinity. At all connected points between two adjacent copy of window-filtered sampled, there is one dicontinuity point.there is huge jump on signal magnitude [from f(t)=0 to f(t)=f(t0)] at that connection point. Does this discontinuity make ring side lobe or not? If yes, however in the practice, I never saw this kind of ring side lobe of frequency spectrum on window-filted sampled data. I just don't understand why it doesn't make obvious thanks for your help.

XF

AlephZero said:
Yes, if you do an FFT numerically on a finite sample of data, then you are assuming the complete sample is one "cycle" of a repeating periodic waveform.

Yes, that is correct.

If you wanted to do this in a practical situation, you would apply a windowing function to the data before you take the FFT, to miminise the effect of the discontinuity.

It is wrong to say this is "a fruitless endeavour". Engineers who make practical measurements the dynamic response of structures do ths sort of thing all the time. It is only "fruitless" if you don't understand how to interpret the results.

1. How does the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) algorithm work on an exponential decay function?

The FFT algorithm works by breaking down a time-domain signal, such as an exponential decay function, into its component frequencies. It does this by utilizing a mathematical technique known as the discrete Fourier transform (DFT). The DFT converts a signal from its original time domain into the frequency domain, where the signal can be expressed as a sum of sinusoidal waves at different frequencies. The FFT algorithm then efficiently calculates the DFT, making it a popular method for analyzing signals with complex frequency components.

2. What are the benefits of using the FFT on an exponential decay function?

The main benefit of using the FFT on an exponential decay function is that it allows for a quick and accurate analysis of the signal's frequency components. This can be useful in various applications, such as signal processing, audio and image compression, and scientific data analysis. Additionally, the FFT algorithm is much faster than other methods of calculating the DFT, making it a valuable tool for real-time applications.

3. Can the FFT be used on exponential decay functions with non-uniformly spaced data points?

Yes, the FFT algorithm can be used on exponential decay functions with non-uniformly spaced data points. However, the accuracy of the results may be affected if the data points are not evenly spaced. In these cases, preprocessing techniques such as interpolation or resampling may be necessary to ensure accurate frequency analysis.

4. Are there any limitations to using the FFT on exponential decay functions?

One limitation of using the FFT on exponential decay functions is that it assumes the signal is periodic and has a finite length. This means that the signal repeats itself after a certain number of data points, and any data points beyond the signal length are ignored. Additionally, the FFT algorithm may not be suitable for analyzing signals with very high or very low frequencies, as it may introduce errors in the results.

5. How can the FFT be used to improve the accuracy of exponential decay function analysis?

The FFT can be used to improve the accuracy of exponential decay function analysis by allowing for a more detailed examination of the signal's frequency components. By breaking down the signal into its component frequencies, it becomes easier to identify and analyze any underlying patterns or anomalies. Additionally, the FFT can be combined with other techniques, such as windowing and filtering, to further enhance the accuracy of the analysis.