Field effect transistor made of graphene: how does it work?

In summary, the speaker is trying to understand how a specific device works and is asking for help with understanding the connection between conventional transistors and one made out of graphene. The conversation also mentions the paper by Geim and Novoselov on the electric field effect in graphene. The summary also mentions that graphene does not have a band gap and therefore, FETs do not work well. The increased conductivity of doped graphene is also mentioned.
Naamean
Hi folks,

I am desperately trying to understand how this device is working... I would like to precise that I understand how field effect transistors/junctions based on p- and n-types semi-conductors are working (with a p-type gate it is ok; with a n-type gate it is already less ok since holes transport is not intuitive to me).

I am trying to make a parallel between these "conventional" transistors and the one made out of graphene described for the first time in Novoselov's paper of 2004 ("Electric field effect in atomatically thin carbon films"). But I don't see what happens between the graphene and the silicon.

Could anybody please help me on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, graphene doesn’t have a band gap, so FETs don’t work very well. The field effect referred to in the paper by Geim and Novoselov has to do with the fact that the electronic density of states at the Fermi level is zero in graphene (and nonzero everywhere else), so that if you have graphene that is completely undoped, its conductivity is quite low, but if you dope it even a little (say, by applying a gate bias), the conductivity goes up pretty steeply.

1. What is a field effect transistor (FET)?

A field effect transistor is a type of electronic device that can control the flow of current between two terminals by applying an external electric field. It is commonly used in electronic circuits as a switch or amplifier.

2. How is a graphene-based FET different from a traditional silicon-based FET?

A graphene-based FET is made of a single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice, whereas a traditional silicon-based FET is made of a solid piece of silicon. Graphene's unique properties, such as high mobility and low resistance, make it a promising material for FETs with potentially faster and more efficient performance.

3. How does a graphene FET work?

A graphene FET works by using an electric field to control the flow of electrons through a channel made of graphene. When a voltage is applied to the gate electrode, it creates an electric field that changes the charge carrier concentration in the graphene, thus controlling the flow of current between the source and the drain.

4. What are the advantages of using graphene in FETs?

Graphene has several advantages over traditional materials used in FETs. It has high carrier mobility, meaning electrons can move quickly through it, resulting in faster switching speeds. It also has a high current-carrying capacity, low resistance, and is highly transparent, making it suitable for use in flexible and transparent electronic devices.

5. What are the potential applications of graphene FETs?

Graphene FETs have the potential to revolutionize various industries, including electronics, energy, and healthcare. They can be used in ultrafast transistors for high-speed computing, as well as in flexible and transparent electronics. They could also be used in sensors, batteries, and solar panels, among other applications.