Field effect transistors question

In summary, the metal transition dichalcogenides increase the carriers mobility inside the channel. They function as a channel and the more you apply a bias, the more electrons will move in the channel.
arierreF
[ Mod note: moved from Elec Eng, might have better luck here]

I have some basic knowledge of how FET work. But i have a question that i can't see the answer.

For example:

In a MOSFET we have a p-doped Silicon substrate. Then we have two n-doped silicons, with a oxide layer above the the p-doped Silicon substrate.

When we increase the gate voltage, we are creating a n-type channel between the n-doped silicons (called the inversion layers). The more we increase the gate voltage the more electrons can move in the n type channel.My question is, why in the recent papers, the new 2D semiconductors, like metal transition dichalcogenides, are used as n type channel?

What is their function? They increase the carriers mobility inside the channel?

Physics news on Phys.org
The 2D semiconductor IS the channel.

w.shockley said:
The 2D semiconductor IS the channel.
I believe the member understands that. As I read it, the question centres on why the use of "metal transition dichalcogenides".

arierreF said:
What is their function? They increase the carriers mobility inside the channel?
Your question is confusing...

Yes the SC is the channel. But how does it works?

Suppose the we have a MOSFET with n-type semiconductor channel. Like the one that you can seei in link below.

https://www.google.pt/search?q=mos2...3%2Ffig_tab%2Fnnano.2010.279_F3.html;946;1208

We apply a negative bias in gate, so it going to repel the electrons in n-type channel semiconductor. What is the objective of repelling the electrons? Does this repelling works like the depletion (repelling it is going to reduce the width of the channel)?

And if we apply a positive bias in gate. We are accommodating electrons in the interface (n-type semiconductor channel and oxide). Whats the point of this?

Last edited:
They talk about a tunnel effect FET. Did you check their ref. 19, which seems to contain a description of the mechanism?

For what i see, the tunneling effects can explain the transport of electrons from the source to the n type semiconductor.

But what i don't understand is the mechanism of the capacitor metal-dielectric-ntype SC. I don't see how can we create any depletion here. And how can we induce electrons in the channel? when the channel has already the electrons?

Im my head, we have a ntype semiconductor without any electron in conduction band (ideal situation). If we apply the field effect, then we are giving enough energy to electrons to transit for the conduction band. Now that we have electrons in the conduction band (thinking of it as an inversion layer), we can control the current with the depletion at the drain.

I know that his is wrong, but i can't see its mechanism.

1. What is a field effect transistor?

A field effect transistor (FET) is a type of semiconductor device that uses an electric field to control the flow of current. It is composed of three terminals - source, drain, and gate - and operates by varying the voltage on the gate terminal to control the flow of current between the source and drain terminals.

2. What are the advantages of field effect transistors over other types of transistors?

Field effect transistors have several advantages over other types of transistors, including high input impedance, low output impedance, and low power consumption. They also have the ability to amplify signals without causing distortion, making them ideal for use in high-frequency applications.

3. What are the different types of field effect transistors?

There are three main types of field effect transistors: junction field effect transistors (JFETs), metal-oxide-semiconductor field effect transistors (MOSFETs), and insulated-gate bipolar transistors (IGBTs). Each type has its own unique structure and characteristics, making them suitable for different applications.

4. How do field effect transistors differ from bipolar junction transistors (BJTs)?

Field effect transistors and bipolar junction transistors (BJTs) are two different types of transistors with distinct operating principles. While FETs use an electric field to control the flow of current, BJTs use the flow of current itself to control the flow of a larger current. FETs also have a higher input impedance and lower output impedance compared to BJTs.

5. What are some common applications of field effect transistors?

Field effect transistors are widely used in various electronic devices, including amplifiers, switches, and oscillators. They are also used in digital logic circuits, such as in microprocessors, and in radio frequency (RF) circuits, such as in cell phones and wireless communication devices.