Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Final Year Project

1. Aug 4, 2006 #1
    Hi there,

I am entering my 3rd year of my physics degree and I recently purchased a Celestron 11'' Schmidt Cassegrain telescope. My lecturer advised me before the summer holidays to work on an area of astronomy/astrophysics for my final year project.
    Would anyone have any ideas on what I could do it on also using the telescope? I start back at the beginning of October and the project starts aroun January. Its a good time away so I have plenty of time to think it through.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2006 #2

Staff: Mentor

Find an already discovered exoplanet and then join the search for new ones.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  4. Aug 4, 2006 #3
    Observe variable stars, look for novae (check the site Russ provided for both), or time asteroid/star/planet occultations by the Moon - http://www.lunar-occultations.com/iota/iotandx.htm .
  5. Aug 4, 2006 #4
    That is what I always dreamed of going into after my education ie planet hunting. This is amazing!! The problem is though I live in Dublin, and Dublin does not offer any high mountains to escape some of the atmospheric noise.. Is it still possible to observe from sea level? Also clear nights often rare in this country too.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?