Find a Spanning Sets for a space AX=(A^T)X

In summary: AX = ATX.In summary, the problem asks for a spanning set for the space T(A) = {X in R5 : AX=(A^T)X}, where A^T is the transpose of A. This means finding a set of vectors that can be written as a linear combination and satisfy the given equation. A possible solution is using the column vectors of either A or A^T, or the standard basis vectors for R5. However, it is also necessary to consider subsets that satisfy AX = ATX in order to find the correct spanning set.
n3kt

Homework Statement

Find a spanning set for the space

T(A) = {X in R5 : AX=(A^T)X} , where A^T (A transpose)

A = 58, -20, -4, -35, 34
-20, 58, 31, 1, -36
-4, 31, 43, 7, -21
18, 18, -17, 31, -12
34, -36, -21, -27, 69

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what this question is really asking for...
What I understand is a spanning set is a set that be written as a linear combination. For ex.
{ X1, X2,...Xk} can be written as aX1+bX2+...cXk.

Since I know by a nxn matrix, I took the determinant of A^t) which was not 0, so the column matrix was linearly independent. So i just wrote the spanning set as the Column vectors.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not all vectors in R5 satisfy AX= ATX but it is not difficult to prove that the set of vectors that do form a subspace of R5. What they are asking for is a set of vectors that span that subspace. Yes, A and AT here are invertible matrices. But that only means their column vectors (v= Ae where e is a basis vector for R5) span all of R5.

Does the problem really say "find a spanning set" and not a "minimal spanning set" or basis? If so then any set of vectors that span all of R5, such as the columns of either A or AT, or just {<1, 0, 0, 0, 0>, <0, 1, 0, 0>, <0, 0, 1, 0, 0>, <0, 0, 0, 1, 0>, < 0, 0, 0, 0, 1>} span that subset!

Yea the question really ask for find a spanning set.

Thank you, now I understand what the question is asking for...but how can i approach the question now??

By giving anyone of the three answers I just gave you!

I tried those answers, and type it in in my online assignment, and it says its wrong. So I'm guessing we have to find the subset

Related to Find a Spanning Sets for a space AX=(A^T)X

1. What is a spanning set?

A spanning set is a set of vectors that can be used to represent all possible vectors in a given vector space. In other words, the span of a set of vectors is the set of all linear combinations of those vectors.

2. How do you find a spanning set for a given space?

To find a spanning set for a space, you need to find a set of linearly independent vectors that span the space. This can be done by solving a system of linear equations, using Gaussian elimination, or by using other methods such as Gram-Schmidt orthogonalization.

3. What is the purpose of finding a spanning set?

The purpose of finding a spanning set is to have a set of vectors that can be used to represent all possible vectors in a given vector space. This is useful for solving systems of linear equations, finding bases for a vector space, and performing other operations in linear algebra.

4. Can a spanning set be unique?

Yes, a spanning set can be unique. This means that there is only one set of vectors that can be used to span a given vector space. However, in most cases, a vector space will have multiple spanning sets.

5. How is finding a spanning set related to the equation AX=(A^T)X?

The equation AX=(A^T)X is a way to represent a linear transformation in matrix form. Finding a spanning set for this equation involves finding a set of vectors that can be used to represent all possible solutions to this equation, which in turn allows us to understand the behavior of the linear transformation in the vector space.