Linear Algebra - Finding coordinates of a set

In summary, linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector spaces and linear transformations. It involves the use of matrices and systems of linear equations to solve problems related to vectors and coordinates. Coordinates in linear algebra refer to the numerical values that represent the position of a point or vector in a given vector space. To find coordinates of a set in linear algebra, a system of equations or matrix operations can be used to solve for the coordinates of each point in the set. The purpose of finding coordinates in linear algebra is to determine the exact position of a point or vector in a given vector space, which has numerous real-life applications in computer graphics, robotics, engineering, physics, and economics.
cscott0001

Homework Statement

Find the coordinates of each member of set S relative to B.
B = {1, cos(x), cos2(x), cos3(x), cos4(x), cos5(x)}
S = {1, cos(x), cos(2x), cos(3x), cos(4x), cos(5x)}

I am to do this using Mathematica software. Each spanning equation will need to be sampled at six separate points to create a 6x6 system that solves for the coordinates of each element of S.

Homework Equations

Ax = b
If I was given a simpler problem, such as "Find the coordinate vector of w = (1, 0) relative to the basis S = {u, v}, u = (2, 2) and v = (1, 1)" my equation would start:

(1, 0) = k1(2, 2) + k2(1, 1)

and I'd solve for k1 and k2

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the equation S = kB, where k is a constant, but I was told to build a 6x6 matrix by sampling each member of B at six points, so I knew that's wasn't right. I built a 6x6 matrix from B with columns 1-6 filled with evaluations of B with x = {0, pi/6, pi/4, pi/3, pi/2, pi}, but I don't think that's right either, because I didn't create any spanning equations. I tried using a matrix {{1,0,0,0,,00},{0,cos(x),0,0,0,0}...{0,0,0,0,0,cos5(x)}}, to test for span, but that didn't feel right either. How do I create spanning equations to sample to build the matrix?

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that [tex]
\cos (n \pm 1)x = \cos nx \cos x \mp \sin nx \sin x[/tex] we obtain [tex]
\cos (n+1)x = 2\cos x \cos nx - \cos(n-1)x.[/tex] From this recurrence relation you can express [itex]\cos nx[/itex] as a polynomial in [itex]\cos x[/itex], which gives you a matrix equation [tex]
(1, \cos x, \dots, \cos 5x)^{T} = A (1, \cos x, \dots, \cos^5 x)[/tex] and your problem is to invert [itex]A[/itex].

cscott0001 said:

Homework Statement

Find the coordinates of each member of set S relative to B.
B = {1, cos(x), cos2(x), cos3(x), cos4(x), cos5(x)}
S = {1, cos(x), cos(2x), cos(3x), cos(4x), cos(5x)}

I am to do this using Mathematica software. Each spanning equation will need to be sampled at six separate points to create a 6x6 system that solves for the coordinates of each element of S.

Homework Equations

Ax = b
If I was given a simpler problem, such as "Find the coordinate vector of w = (1, 0) relative to the basis S = {u, v}, u = (2, 2) and v = (1, 1)" my equation would start:

(1, 0) = k1(2, 2) + k2(1, 1)

and I'd solve for k1 and k2

The Attempt at a Solution

I started with the equation S = kB, where k is a constant, but I was told to build a 6x6 matrix by sampling each member of B at six points, so I knew that's wasn't right. I built a 6x6 matrix from B with columns 1-6 filled with evaluations of B with x = {0, pi/6, pi/4, pi/3, pi/2, pi}, but I don't think that's right either, because I didn't create any spanning equations. I tried using a matrix {{1,0,0,0,,00},{0,cos(x),0,0,0,0}...{0,0,0,0,0,cos5(x)}}, to test for span, but that didn't feel right either. How do I create spanning equations to sample to build the matrix?

So, what you actually need to do is write all the elements of S as linear combinations of elements of B. For example:

##1 = 1*1 + 0*cos(x) + 0*cos^2(x) + 0*cos^3(x) + 0*cos^4(x) + 0*cos^5(x)##

Thus, the coordinates of ##1## relative to ##B## is ##(1,0,0,0,0,0)##.

Another example:

##cos(2x) = cos^2(x) - sin^2(x) = cos^2(x) - (1 - cos^2(x)) = -1 + 2cos^2(x)##

Thus, the coordinates of ##cos(2x)## relative to ##B## is ##(-1,0,2,0,0,0)##

Now, try the rest of the exercise.

EDIT: I didn't read carefully about the mathematica part. You can ignore this post.

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear transformations. It involves the use of matrices and systems of linear equations to solve problems related to vectors and coordinates.

2. What are coordinates in linear algebra?

Coordinates in linear algebra refer to the numerical values that represent the position of a point or vector in a given vector space. They are usually represented as a set of numbers, often in the form of an ordered pair or triple, that indicate the location of the point in relation to a set of axes.

3. How do you find coordinates of a set in linear algebra?

To find the coordinates of a set in linear algebra, you first need to define the set of points or vectors in a given vector space. Then, you can use a system of equations or matrix operations to solve for the coordinates of each point in the set. This process involves finding the intersection point or points of the equations, which represent the coordinates of the set.

4. What is the purpose of finding coordinates in linear algebra?

The purpose of finding coordinates in linear algebra is to determine the exact position of a point or vector in a given vector space. This is useful for various applications, such as representing objects in computer graphics, solving systems of linear equations, and understanding the geometric relationships between different points or vectors.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding coordinates in linear algebra?

Finding coordinates in linear algebra has numerous real-life applications, such as in computer graphics, robotics, engineering, physics, and economics. For example, in computer graphics, coordinates are used to represent the position of objects in a 3D space, and in robotics, they are used to program the movement of robotic arms. In physics, coordinates are used to describe the position and motion of objects, and in economics, they are used to model and analyze supply and demand curves.