Find all branch currents in the network shown.

In summary: R_1+1/R_2+ ... + 1/R_n (Series circuits)]The current source has a potential difference of 4.64 V across the 2 Ω resistor in series with it.
s3a

Homework Statement

The problem and its solution are attached.

Homework Equations

V = RI
R_eq = 1/R_1 + 1/R_2 + ... + 1/R_n (Parallel circuits)
R_eq = R_1 + R_2 + ... + R_n (Series circuits)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the two lines of math below “Now referring to the reduced network of Fig. 3-14(b),”, could someone please explain to me why those specific numbers were chosen?

I believe that the voltage across each resistor should be (2 Ω)(13.7 A) = 27.4 V and, I thought that I would have to do V/R = I for the 9.8 Ω and 2.0 Ω resistors such that I get (27.4 V) /(9.8 Ω) = 2.7959183673469387755102040816327 A and (27.4 V)/(2 Ω) = 13.7 A but, both are wrong, and, I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Any help in understanding what I am doing wrong as well as figuring out what is the correct way to approach the part that I am stuck on would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 3.8.jpg
    3.8.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,097
Physics news on Phys.org
s3a said:

Homework Statement

The problem and its solution are attached.

Homework Equations

V = RI
R_eq = 1/R_1 + 1/R_2 + ... + 1/R_n (Parallel circuits)
R_eq = R_1 + R_2 + ... + R_n (Series circuits)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the two lines of math below “Now referring to the reduced network of Fig. 3-14(b),”, could someone please explain to me why those specific numbers were chosen?
The maths represent current dividers. There's a total of 13.7 A being split into two paths, one with resistance 9.8 Ω and the other 2.0 Ω. The sum of the resistances is 11.8 Ω. Thus one current will be 13.7(2/11.8) amps, and the other 13.7(9.8/11.8) amps.
I believe that the voltage across each resistor should be (2 Ω)(13.7 A) = 27.4 V and, I thought that I would have to do V/R = I for the 9.8 Ω and 2.0 Ω resistors such that I get (27.4 V) /(9.8 Ω) = 2.7959183673469387755102040816327 A and (27.4 V)/(2 Ω) = 13.7 A but, both are wrong, and, I don't understand what I am doing wrong.
No, that's the potential across the 2 Ω resistor in series with the current supply, but it doesn't take into account the potential that will appear across the current supply itself. Current supplies produce whatever potential is required in order to maintain the flow of their specified current value.

The maths represent current dividers. There's a total of 13.7 A being split into two paths, one with resistance 9.8 Ω and the other 2.0 Ω. The sum of the resistances is 11.8 Ω. Thus one current will be 13.7(2/11.8) amps, and the other 13.7(9.8/11.8) amps.
I get that now, thanks to you. :)

No, that's the potential across the 2 Ω resistor in series with the current supply, but it doesn't take into account the potential that will appear across the current supply itself. Current supplies produce whatever potential is required in order to maintain the flow of their specified current value.

Prior to this, I didn't know you could have a current source making a voltage; I thought you could only have a voltage inducing a current. (Just saying.)

In an attempt to understand things better, I wanted to do some "reverse engineering" and found that the potential difference across the current source to be 4.64 V. Am I right?

s3a said:
I get that now, thanks to you. :)
[\quote]
Welcome!
Prior to this, I didn't know you could have a current source making a voltage; I thought you could only have a voltage inducing a current. (Just saying.)
Well, it is after all potential differences which cause charges to move, so it takes some potential (voltage) to make a current.

The difference between a current source and a voltage source is that the current source is designed to produce enough voltage, no matter what, to maintain its specified current, while the voltage source is designed to produce any amount of current required to maintain its specified voltage.
In an attempt to understand things better, I wanted to do some "reverse engineering" and found that the potential difference across the current source to be 4.64 V. Am I right?
Not quite; I think you've got a sign issue, probably related to the direction of the potential change across the 2Ω resistor.

Well, it is after all potential differences which cause charges to move, so it takes some potential (voltage) to make a current.

The difference between a current source and a voltage source is that the current source is designed to produce enough voltage, no matter what, to maintain its specified current, while the voltage source is designed to produce any amount of current required to maintain its specified voltage.
That makes sense.

Not quite; I think you've got a sign issue, probably related to the direction of the potential change across the 2Ω resistor.
The following is what I did.:
Let “cs” stand for “current source”.
V_cs + [-(2)(13.7)] = -[(2)(11.38)]
V_cs = 2(13.7) – (2)(11.38)
V_cs = 4.64 V

What's wrong with that?

s3a said:
The following is what I did.:
Let “cs” stand for “current source”.
V_cs + [-(2)(13.7)] = -[(2)(11.38)]
V_cs = 2(13.7) – (2)(11.38)
V_cs = 4.64 V

What's wrong with that?
I don't follow what you're doing on the RHS of the first equation. The left had side seems to have units of volts, and I guess the 11.8 is the sum of the resistances of the two branches (Ohms), but what does the 2 stand for? Keep in mind that the branches are in parallel, so their resistances don't simply sum.

I don't follow what you're doing on the RHS of the first equation. The left had side seems to have units of volts, and I guess the 11.8 is the sum of the resistances of the two branches (Ohms), but what does the 2 stand for? Keep in mind that the branches are in parallel, so their resistances don't simply sum.

I said 11.38 (A) and not 11.8 (Ω).

The right side of the equation is the left-most 2Ω resistor's resistance multiplied by the current going through it (which is I_4). The other non-variable part of the equation is the voltage across the 2Ω resistor which is in series with the current source. The entire equation states that the sum of the voltages on the branch with the current source has the same voltage as the entire branch with the left-most 2Ω resistor.

So, is the previous work I posted correct? (Tell me if there is more you want me to explain.)

Okay, sorry I mixed up your resistance \ currents.

Let's take the simplified circuit and add the current directions and polarities of the voltage drops on the resistors of interest:

attachment.php?attachmentid=53631&stc=1&d=1354659151.gif

Note the direction of the polarity of the potential drop across the 2Ω resistor in the center branch. So

##V_x - (13.7A)(2Ω) = (11.38A)(2Ω)##

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 830
Last edited:
It's fine. I see my mistake now.

By the way, that modification of the image I initially attached looks very aesthetically pleasing. :)

Thanks a lot for everything!

Related to Find all branch currents in the network shown.

1. How do I find the branch currents in a network?

To find the branch currents in a network, you will need to use Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) and Ohm's Law. KCL states that the sum of all currents entering a node must equal the sum of all currents leaving the node. And Ohm's Law states that the current through a resistor is equal to the voltage across the resistor divided by its resistance.

2. What is the purpose of finding branch currents in a network?

Finding the branch currents in a network is important for analyzing and understanding the behavior of the circuit. It allows you to determine the amount of current flowing through each branch, which is necessary for calculating other parameters such as voltage drops and power dissipation.

3. How do I label the branch currents in the network?

To label the branch currents, you can use a consistent notation such as I1, I2, I3, etc. These labels can be used to represent the current flowing through each branch or the current entering/leaving a particular node. It is important to label the currents correctly to avoid confusion.

4. Can I use software to find the branch currents?

Yes, there are various circuit analysis software programs available that can help you find the branch currents in a network. These programs use mathematical algorithms and equations to solve for the currents, making the process faster and more accurate.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when finding branch currents?

One common mistake is forgetting to include all the currents in the circuit, especially at complex nodes with multiple branches. Another mistake is using incorrect values for resistors or voltage sources, which can lead to incorrect current calculations. It is also important to double-check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.