Find Center of Mass: 3kg at (0,8), 1kg at (12,0), 4kg at (?)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinates of a 4 kg mass that will result in the center of mass of a system of three masses being located at the origin (0,0). The equation for finding the center of mass is used, with the first equation used to find the x-coordinate and the second equation used to find the y-coordinate. The final coordinates for the 4 kg mass are found to be (-3,-6).
Sucks@Physics
A 3kg mass is positioned at (0,8) and 1 kg mass is positioned at (12,0). What are the coordinates of a 4 kg mass, which will result int he center of mass of the system of three masses being located at the origin (0,0)?

I know that m1x1+m2x2...etc but I don't understand how you can do it with actual coordinates, can someone explain?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried finding the distance between the points and the origin?

This will sound dumb, but I do not remember the distance formula...

distance= square root of [(x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2]

so the 3 kg is 8 units away and the 1 kg is 12 units away. would that mean that the 4kg had to be 9 units away? and how do you know which way/what coordinates?

You know that the 3kg is due north and the 12kg is to the east of the origin. Therefore, you know that the third mass must be placed south-west of the origin to mantain equilibrium. Bear in mind that this is the y=x line.

i know to use the m1x1+m2x2+m3x3/(m1+m2+m3) but i still don't understand how you get 2 points from this equation

so the coordinates are oging to (-n,-n) but i still don't see how the formula works

you will need to think of the vectors in terms of their components, and realize that the third mass will have a vector with components to cancel out the other two masses' vectors.

edit: also, the post saying it's on the x=y line is misinformed. the answer is not in the form (-n,-n).

Last edited:
so 3 kg directly up 8 units, 1 kg directly right 12 units and 4 kg in quardrant III. the sum equals 36 so the 4 kg would have to be 9 units away from the origin? I don't think I'm doing this right

not the sum. the vectors are at right angles. the y component of the 4kg mass equals the 3kg mass's vector, and the x component is the 1kg mass's vector

that would give me (-8,-12) right?

Sucks@Physics said:
i know to use the m1x1+m2x2+m3x3/(m1+m2+m3) but i still don't understand how you get 2 points from this equation

Then use (m1y1+m2y2+m3y3)/(m1+m2+m3) to find the y-coordinate of the CM.

i don't know m3y3 so is it (m1y1+m2y2)/(m1+m2+m3) = m3y3?

no, its 0, remember its stated on the problem.. (0,0) is the CM

List everything you know:

m1, x1, y1
m2, x2, y2
CM(x), CM(y)
m3

You need to find x3 and y3.

So set up the equation to find the center of mass,

[tex]
CM{}_x{} = (m{}_1{}x{}_1{} + m{}_2{}x{}_2{} + m{}_3{}x{}_3{}) / (M)
[/tex]

Solve it for what you're looking for.

EDIT: To be clearer, a value x1, x2, x3, etc. is the x-coordinate of the position of that mass m1, m2, m3...

maybe this will help you visualize it.. I am not sure if you are familiar of adding vectors using unit vectors--> i(hat) and j(hat). But if you do it like that.. you will have
3(0i+8j) <-- i can multiply by three because mass is a scaler.
1(12i+0j)
-----------
12i + 24j
4(Xi+Yj)
-----------
0i+ 0j <-- center of mass..

Ok, that is more than enough of information.. you should be able to solve it.

i just don't understand, i give up

Last edited:
Sucks@Physics said:
i just don't understand, i give up

It's much easier than you are making it. The equation

[tex]CM_{x} = \frac{m_{1}x_{1} + m_{2}x_{2} + m_{3}x_{3}}{m_{1} + m_{2} + m_{3}}
[/tex]

Will give you the x-coordinate for the position of the center of mass: [tex]CM_{x}[/tex]. You are looking for the position of the 4-kg mass, so solve this equation for x3.

And this second equation

[tex]CM_{y} = \frac{m_{1}y_{1} + m_{2}y_{2} + m_{3}y_{3}}{m_{1} + m_{2} + m_{3}}
[/tex]

will give you the y-coordinate for the center of mass ([tex]CM_{y}[/tex]). Since you're looking for the position of that m3, solve this second equation for y3.

(3*0)+(1*12)+(4)/(3+1+4)=2
or
(3*8)+(1*12)+(4)/(3+1+4)=5
or
(3*8)+(1*12)/(3+1+4) =4.5/4 = 1.125

this is what I've done and I'm getting nothing close to the answer. the answer is (-3,-6)

Sucks@Physics said:
(3*0)+(1*12)+(4)/(3+1+4)=2
or
(3*8)+(1*12)+(4)/(3+1+4)=5
or
(3*8)+(1*12)/(3+1+4) =4.5/4 = 1.125

this is what I've done and I'm getting nothing close to the answer. the answer is (-3,-6)

Solve the equations for x3 and y3 before plugging in numbers.

i don't know why i can't understand this stupid thing

Sucks@Physics said:
i don't know why i can't understand this stupid thing

Do you not understand the concept? Or how to solve the equations for x3 and y3, respectively? Or what x3 and y3 represent? Or what CMx and CMy represent?

CMy and CMx are the origin (0,0). x3 and y3 are the coordinates in which i need to find that have the 4kg mass. I guess I don't know how to solve the equation for x3y3. Would it be...

(m1x1+m2x2)/(m1+m2+m3) or (m1x1+m2x2)/(m1+m2) or (m1x1+m2x2+m3)/(m1+m2+m3)

i feel like I've tried everything

omg i figured it out. thanks simon for not giving up on me! lol

i set it up liek this...

(3*0)+(1*12)+(4* ?) = 0
(3*8)+(1*0)+(4* ?) = 0

Will that work?

Sucks@Physics said:
i set it up liek this...

(3*0)+(1*12)+(4* ?) = 0
(3*8)+(1*0)+(4* ?) = 0

Will that work?

Does it match what you know the answer should be?

yea its (-3,-6)

Related to Find Center of Mass: 3kg at (0,8), 1kg at (12,0), 4kg at (?)

What is the formula for finding the center of mass?

The formula for finding the center of mass is xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn) and ycm = (m1y1 + m2y2 + ... + mnyn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn), where m is the mass and x and y are the coordinates of each object.

How do you find the center of mass of multiple objects?

To find the center of mass of multiple objects, you need to calculate the weighted average of their positions. This can be done using the formula mentioned above, where the mass of each object is multiplied by its respective position and then divided by the total mass of all objects.

What are the units for the center of mass?

The units for the center of mass depend on the units of the coordinates and mass used in the calculation. For example, if the coordinates are in meters and the mass is in kilograms, then the center of mass will be in meters. It is important to keep the units consistent throughout the calculation.

How do you find the center of mass for an irregularly shaped object?

To find the center of mass for an irregularly shaped object, you can divide it into smaller, simpler shapes and find the center of mass for each of these shapes. Then, you can use the formula for finding the center of mass of multiple objects to calculate the overall center of mass for the entire object.

What does the center of mass represent?

The center of mass represents the point at which the mass of an object is evenly distributed in all directions. This point is also the balance point of the object, meaning the object will remain in equilibrium if it is supported at this point.