Find Difference in Satellite Distances After Impulse

In summary, the conversation was about finding the difference between the maximum and minimum distances from the center of the Earth for a satellite in a circular orbit with a given mass and speed, after an impulse that increases its kinetic energy by 1%. The experts discuss using energy and angular momentum conservation to derive the eccentricity and semi-major axis of the new elliptical orbit, and ultimately solving for the maximum and minimum distances. The final solution is around 0.90 and 1.11 times the original radius of the circular orbit.
bon

Homework Statement

Ok so I'm told that there is a satellite mass m in a circular orbit of radius ro around the Earth (of mass M). I'm told the speed of the satellite is vo.

So I've shown that Eo = total energy of satellite = -1/2mvo^2

Now I am told that whilst the satellite is in its circular orbit, there is an impulse that leaves its angular momentum unchanged but increases its kinetic energy by 1%

I'm told to find the difference between the maximum and minimum distances from the centre of the earth..

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that after the impulse, it will follow an elliptical path.

Energy eqn for non-circular orbit is:

1/2 m (dr/dt)^2 + J^2/2mr^2 - GMm/r = E

So I know J = J initial = mvoro

but all i know is that its kinetic energy has increased by 1%, not its total, so how can i get an expression for E to solve the problem?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

From the constant angular momentum, h, for the initial circular orbit you can derive h expressed as a function of v0. Since the maneuver is considered impulsive, radius does not change while speed does, so establishing an expression for the total orbital energy after the maneuver and replacing the kinetic energy term with the "1% scaled" kinetic energy for v0 you can get an expression that relates the semi-major axis, a, of the new elliptic orbit with v0. Knowing h and a and some geometric relationship for an elliptic orbit, you can derive the eccentricity and finally the apogee and perigee radius as a function of v0 and the "1% factor" (and mu).

Ok..thanks..but is there another way to do this - just using energy considerations - i.e. the equations I have above, as we haven't really done anything involving semi major axis etc..

thanks

At the minimum and maximum distances dr/dt =0. That means that the radial component of the velocity is zero, the velocity is normal to the radius, so the angular momentum is J = mrv at the maximum and minimum distance from Earth. The angular momentum is the same as it was for the circular orbit, so you can write v in terms of r using the conservation of angular momentum.
You can get the new energy after the impulse. The radius did not change so the potential energy stayed -mv0^2 = -GmM/r0, but the KE became 1.01/2 mv0^2. You have the equation for the energy at arbitrary r along the orbit, and you know that dr/dt = 0 and the angular momentum is J=mrv. Make E(r) equal to the energy you got after the impulse, this is an equation for r, solve.

ehild

This problem is essentially asking you to find the (new) semi-major axis and eccentricity. You cannot determine both of those from energy alone. You need energy and angular momentum.

ehild said:
At the minimum and maximum distances dr/dt =0. That means that the radial component of the velocity is zero, the velocity is normal to the radius, so the angular momentum is J = mrv at the maximum and minimum distance from Earth. The angular momentum is the same as it was for the circular orbit, so you can write v in terms of r using the conservation of angular momentum.
You can get the new energy after the impulse. The radius did not change so the potential energy stayed -mv0^2 = -GmM/r0, but the KE became 1.01/2 mv0^2. You have the equation for the energy at arbitrary r along the orbit, and you know that dr/dt = 0 and the angular momentum is J=mrv. Make E(r) equal to the energy you got after the impulse, this is an equation for r, solve.

ehild

Thanks ehild..so I get that before Jo = mrovo

so by conservation of angular momentum i get J = mr^2 theta dot = m ro vo

I understand what you say about energy also..

im just not sure what to equate to what..

for the orbit after the collision, the orbit equation 1/2m(dr/dt)^2 + J^2/2mr^2 - GMm/r = E applies..

i know J = Jo...but I don't see how to get E..

please could you just explain the steps more clearly? thank you very much!

You know KE and PE just before the impulse: KE =1/2 mv0^2, PE = -GmM/r0. After that, KE increased by 1 %, PE stayed the same, so E=1.01 * 1/2 mv0^2-GmM/r0 = -0.99 * 1/2 mv0^2.

ehild

Thank yo so much. very clear now!

Ehild = the best

ehild said:
You know KE and PE just before the impulse: KE =1/2 mv0^2, PE = -GmM/r0. After that, KE increased by 1 %, PE stayed the same, so E=1.01 * 1/2 mv0^2-GmM/r0 = -0.99 * 1/2 mv0^2.

ehild

cool okay so i solved the equation and got rmin = 0.42ro, rmax = 2.44ro.

so distance between them is 2.86ro

Is this right?

The answer says it should be 0.2ro, but this can't be right - the distance between maximum and minimum distances from the centre of the Earth can't be less than ro right?

thanks

sorry found my mistake... :S

Have you got the correct solution? Congratulation!

ehild

Now I'm curious to hear the result. I get around 0.90 and 1.11 when going via semi-major axis and eccentricity.

They are r0/1.1 and r0/0.9

ehild

Related to Find Difference in Satellite Distances After Impulse

1. How does impulse affect satellite distances?

Impulse can cause a change in the velocity of a satellite, which in turn affects its orbit and distance from the Earth. This change in velocity can be caused by a variety of factors, such as rocket thrusters or collisions with other objects in space.

2. Can we predict the exact difference in satellite distances after an impulse?

While we can make calculations and predictions based on the initial velocity and mass of the satellite, it is difficult to predict the exact difference in satellite distances after an impulse. This is due to the complex nature of orbital mechanics and the many variables involved.

3. How is the difference in satellite distances measured?

The difference in satellite distances is typically measured using radar or laser ranging systems. These systems send out a signal to the satellite and measure the time it takes for the signal to return. By knowing the speed of the signal, the distance to the satellite can be calculated.

4. Can we use the difference in satellite distances to track the location of a satellite?

Yes, the difference in satellite distances can be used to track the location of a satellite. By continuously measuring the distance to a satellite, its orbit can be determined and its location can be tracked over time.

5. How does the difference in satellite distances impact communication with satellites?

The difference in satellite distances can affect communication with satellites in a few ways. If the satellite is farther away than expected, it may take longer for signals to reach it, resulting in a delay in communication. Additionally, changes in orbit can impact the strength and reliability of the communication signal between the satellite and Earth.