Find ELectric field in these regions of a spherical shell

In summary: You got it!.In summary, it is important to remember that there is no field produced inside a uniformly charged spherical shell, and that the field outside the shell is the same as if all the charge were concentrated at the center. This explains the integration range for finding the electric field in the three regions: a<r<b, a<r<b, and b<r. The integration range for a<r<b is from a to r, and for b<r it is from a to b. This can also be compared to finding the mass distribution within a certain boundary.
grandpa2390

Homework Statement

a thick spherical shell carries charge density k/r^2 a<r<b
find E in the three regions r<a a<r<b b<r

Homework Equations

E dot da = Q/ε

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't understand why, when integrating, they choose for
ii to integrate between a and r,
iii and the between a and b for iii

Physics news on Phys.org
grandpa2390 said:

Homework Statement

a thick spherical shell carries charge density k/r^2 a<r<b
find E in the three regions r<a a<r<b b<r

Homework Equations

E dot da = Q/ε

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't understand why, when integrating, they choose for
ii to integrate between a and r,
iii and the between a and b for iii
What do you know about the field inside a uniformly charged spherical shell?

haruspex said:
What do you know about the field inside a uniformly charged spherical shell?
that it's uniform at the surface?
I don't know what you are asking.

what I have been able to gather is that they are integrating the volume of the shell. integral of 4 pi r^2 dr
for a<r<b the volume is from a - r
for b<r the volume is from a-b

I don't know why.

grandpa2390 said:
that it's uniform at the surface?
No, that there is no field produced inside a uniformly charged spherical shell. This is a fundamental result of enormous importance in these problems. The equally important result for outside the shell is that the field there is the same as if all of the charge were concentrated at the sphere's centre.
The same pair of results applies (of course) to gravitational fields from uniform spherical mass distributions.

Can you see how this explains the integration range?

Likes grandpa2390
haruspex said:
No, that there is no field produced inside a uniformly charged spherical shell. This is a fundamental result of enormous importance in these problems. The equally important result for outside the shell is that the field there is the same as if all of the charge were concentrated at the sphere's centre.
The same pair of results applies (of course) to gravitational fields from uniform spherical mass distributions.

Can you see how this explains the integration range?

We are trying to capture all of the "mass" below our boundary.

Between A and B we want to capture all the mass from a to wherever r is.
If R is greater then B then we want all of the "mass" less then r which is from a to b

?

grandpa2390 said:
Between A and B we want to capture all the mass from a to wherever r is.
Hence the integration range from a to r.
grandpa2390 said:
If R is greater then B then we want all of the "mass" less then r which is from a to b
Hence the integration range from a to b.
You seem to have answered your own questions.
Please try to explain more clearly what it is that you do not understand.

Likes grandpa2390
haruspex said:
Hence the integration range from a to r.

Hence the integration range from a to b.
You seem to have answered your own questions.
Please try to explain more clearly what it is that you do not understand.

No you answered it. Or at the very least, you slapped some sense into my brain, pointed... pushed my brain into the right direction.
I don't know. When you compared it to mass, it just made sense to me suddenly. I don't know. I was thinking it should have been integrated between the boundaries stated. integrated from a to b, and then from b to infinity. I didn't get it until your last reply :)

Then I just restated what I got from you in my own words for verification to make sure whether I had it : )

Thanks for your help!

grandpa2390 said:
restated what I got from you in my own words for verification
Verified.

Likes grandpa2390

Q1: What is a spherical shell?

A spherical shell is a three-dimensional shape that is created by rotating a circle around its diameter. It has a hollow interior and a uniform thickness.

Q2: What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of an electric charge on other charges or objects in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units of force per unit charge (N/C or V/m).

Q3: How do you find the electric field in a spherical shell?

The electric field in a spherical shell can be found by using the formula E = Q/4πε0R2, where Q is the charge of the shell, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and R is the radius of the shell.

Q4: What are the regions of a spherical shell?

There are two regions of a spherical shell: the interior region and the exterior region. The interior region is the space inside the shell, while the exterior region is the space outside the shell. The electric field is zero in the interior region and non-zero in the exterior region.

Q5: How does the electric field vary in the different regions of a spherical shell?

In the interior region, the electric field is zero because there is no charge within the shell to create an electric field. In the exterior region, the electric field varies inversely with the distance from the center of the shell. This means that the electric field decreases as you move further away from the shell.